Re: [wpmac] & WP macros -- speed?

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2011
      On Thu Jun 9, 2011 11:32 pm ((PDT)), "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

      >While the Applescript _was still running_, I wrote the macro,
      >debugged it, and ran it. I got the results, looked through them, saw
      >that everything was cool -- and the Applescript ran for at least
      >another five minutes, natively on OS 10.4.11.

      I'll never be one to claim AppleScript is super-fast, but it is
      usually fast enough. There are certainly things that will slow down
      an AppleScript, though, especially one working with/iterating through
      lots of data. I once used an AppleScript that wrote a web page to
      report all of my Camino bookmarks, sorted by visit count. It took
      maybe 30s to run on my couple-thousand bookmarks from the Script
      menu, but 15-30min to run via Script Editor! (Almost assuredly
      because of the "echoing" of everything to the Event Log; it reminds
      me of why many old UNIX commands had flags to suppress their
      in-progress output, because drawing to the screen was often a
      serious performance bottleneck.)

      So, avoid running scripts in Script Editor if they do lots of
      processing or you have a large dataset. ;-)

      Also, if you're running on an Intel Mac and using compiled
      applications, make sure you save them as "Application bundle" type,
      since the executable is Universal, but in the "Application" type,
      it's still PPC-only. (Frankly, if you're on 10.4 or 10.5 PPC, you
      may as well save as "Application bundle" anyway, so you don't get
      caught by "surprise" by that when you move to an Intel Mac.)

      Two tips from my experience; dunno if they are relevant to your
      situation or not, but worth keeping in mind for AppleScripters out
      there.

      Smokey