Applescript & WP macros -- speed?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2011
      I had a document of 337 pages of addresses. I wanted to make a new document with every address that had a given word in it. Applescript can do this sort of word processing. It was in part made for it.

      So I wrote a nine-line script. That's not enough lines for anyone, even me, to make much of a mistake in a way that would slow things down. I started it running. After a while, I realized it was going to be slow, so I thought I'd do the same thing with a WP macro.

      While the Applescript _was still running_, I wrote the macro, debugged it, and ran it. I got the results, looked through them, saw that everything was cool -- and the Applescript ran for at least another five minutes, natively on OS 10.4.11.

      Harrumph.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2011
        I tried using AppleScript and Pages to replace the wrong characters in documents converted from WPMac that used a standard Sanskrit-transcription font from the ancient days of System 7 etc. AppleScript and Pages typically required 30 minutes to replace the characters. The same replacement, in a LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org macro took about two seconds.