Re: [wpmac] Apple Security Update For MacDefender

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
      ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants. This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files, a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV runs on Tiger and later). See

      http://www.clamxav.com/

      And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe Files After Downloading preference.

      John R.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

      > On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
      >
      > > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
      > > malware issue:
      > > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
      >
      > It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
      > that can bypass Apple's
      > security system:
      > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
      > bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>
      >
      > or
      >
      > http://is.gd/Ratlvy
      >
      > <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
      > quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>
      >
      > or
      >
      > http://is.gd/8nPYJF
      >
      > As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
      > files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
      > Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
      > Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
      > to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
      > will post the steps.)

      > Randy B. Singer
      > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
      >
      > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

    • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
        Also locate the utility called Safe Download Version which checks which
        version of the malware updater Apple has installed. Currently on version
        4 since all the ruckus started.

        John R wrote:

        > ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants.
        > This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files,
        > a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV
        > runs on Tiger and later). See
        >
        > http://www.clamxav.com/
        >
        > And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe
        > Files After Downloading preference.
        >
        > John R.
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
        > >
        > > > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
        > > > malware issue:
        > > > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
        > >
        > > It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
        > > that can bypass Apple's
        > > security system:
        > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
        > > bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>
        > >
        > > or
        > >
        > > http://is.gd/Ratlvy
        > >
        > > <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
        > > quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>
        > >
        > > or
        > >
        > > http://is.gd/8nPYJF
        > >
        > > As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
        > > files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
        > > Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
        > > Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
        > > to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
        > > will post the steps.)

        > > Randy B. Singer
        > > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
        > >
        > > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        > > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

        Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
        http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...