Re: [wpmac] Apple Security Update For MacDefender

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

      > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
      > malware issue:
      > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657

      It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
      that can bypass Apple's
      security system:
      <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
      bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>

      or

      http://is.gd/Ratlvy

      <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
      quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>

      or

      http://is.gd/8nPYJF

      As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
      files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
      Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
      Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
      to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
      will post the steps.)

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
        ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants. This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files, a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV runs on Tiger and later). See

        http://www.clamxav.com/

        And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe Files After Downloading preference.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

        > On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
        >
        > > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
        > > malware issue:
        > > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
        >
        > It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
        > that can bypass Apple's
        > security system:
        > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
        > bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://is.gd/Ratlvy
        >
        > <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
        > quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://is.gd/8nPYJF
        >
        > As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
        > files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
        > Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
        > Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
        > to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
        > will post the steps.)

        > Randy B. Singer
        > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
        >
        > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

      • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
          Also locate the utility called Safe Download Version which checks which
          version of the malware updater Apple has installed. Currently on version
          4 since all the ruckus started.

          John R wrote:

          > ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants.
          > This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files,
          > a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV
          > runs on Tiger and later). See
          >
          > http://www.clamxav.com/
          >
          > And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe
          > Files After Downloading preference.
          >
          > John R.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
          > >
          > > > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
          > > > malware issue:
          > > > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
          > >
          > > It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
          > > that can bypass Apple's
          > > security system:
          > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
          > > bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>
          > >
          > > or
          > >
          > > http://is.gd/Ratlvy
          > >
          > > <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
          > > quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>
          > >
          > > or
          > >
          > > http://is.gd/8nPYJF
          > >
          > > As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
          > > files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
          > > Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
          > > Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
          > > to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
          > > will post the steps.)

          > > Randy B. Singer
          > > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
          > >
          > > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          > > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

          Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
          http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...