Re: [wpmac] Apple Security Update For MacDefender

  • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2011
      Just updated.

      Also x.6.7 has several Bad fonts That affect Adobe Acrobat, MS Office
      and other products.

      Its fixed with this:

      http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1377

      It seems that X.6.7 prefers Opentype (based on TrueType) and Truetype.
      Doesn't like Postscript at all.

      Randy B. Singer wrote:

      > This is somewhat off topic, but I know that it is important to a lot
      > of people...
      >
      > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
      > malware issue:
      > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
      >
      > It will only work if you are updated to the latest version of Mac OS
      > X, which is OS X 10.6.7.

      > Randy B. Singer
      > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
      >
      > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

      Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
      http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
        On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
        > malware issue:
        > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657

        It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
        that can bypass Apple's
        security system:
        <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
        bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>

        or

        http://is.gd/Ratlvy

        <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
        quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>

        or

        http://is.gd/8nPYJF

        As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
        files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
        Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
        Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
        to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
        will post the steps.)

        Randy B. Singer

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
          ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants. This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files, a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV runs on Tiger and later). See

          http://www.clamxav.com/

          And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe Files After Downloading preference.

          John R.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
            Also locate the utility called Safe Download Version which checks which
            version of the malware updater Apple has installed. Currently on version
            4 since all the ruckus started.