Apple Security Update For MacDefender

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 4:40 PM
      This is somewhat off topic, but I know that it is important to a lot
      of people...

      A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
      malware issue:
      http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657

      It will only work if you are updated to the latest version of Mac OS
      X, which is OS X 10.6.7.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31 7:19 PM
        Nice to hear from Randy Singer again!

        On May 31, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > This is somewhat off topic, but I know that it is important to a lot
        > of people...
        >
        > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
        > malware issue:
        > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
        >
        > It will only work if you are updated to the latest version of Mac OS
        > X, which is OS X 10.6.7.

        > Randy B. Singer
        > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
        >
        > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

        Rick Albright
        logres@...

        http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
      • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31 8:45 PM
          Just updated.

          Also x.6.7 has several Bad fonts That affect Adobe Acrobat, MS Office
          and other products.

          Its fixed with this:

          http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1377

          It seems that X.6.7 prefers Opentype (based on TrueType) and Truetype.
          Doesn't like Postscript at all.

          Randy B. Singer wrote:

          > This is somewhat off topic, but I know that it is important to a lot
          > of people...
          >
          > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
          > malware issue:
          > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
          >
          > It will only work if you are updated to the latest version of Mac OS
          > X, which is OS X 10.6.7.

          > Randy B. Singer
          > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
          >
          > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

          Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
          http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
            On May 31, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

            > A security update is now available from Apple to fix the MacDefender
            > malware issue:
            > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657

            It took less than 8 hours for a new Mac Defender variant to appear
            that can bypass Apple's
            security system:
            <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-apple-antivirus-signatures-
            bypassed-within-hours-by-malware-authors-update/3396>

            or

            http://is.gd/Ratlvy

            <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/new-variant-of-mac-defender-
            quickly-evades-apples-security-update-as-cat-and-mouse-game-begins/>

            or

            http://is.gd/8nPYJF

            As before, it is important to make sure that you have "Open safe
            files after downloading" UNchecked in Safari's preferences.
            Even better, if you routinely use a non-administrator account on your
            Mac, MacDefender can't even attempt to install itself. (If you need
            to know how to move to a non-administrator account, let me know and I
            will post the steps.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
              ClamXAV has updated virus definitions for MacDefender and its variants. This freeware antivirus program can be set to quarantine infected files, a procedure that Apple has apparently copied for Snow Leopard (ClamXAV runs on Tiger and later). See

              http://www.clamxav.com/

              And, as posted, it's a very good idea to uncheck Safari's Open Safe Files After Downloading preference.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
                Also locate the utility called Safe Download Version which checks which
                version of the malware updater Apple has installed. Currently on version
                4 since all the ruckus started.