[ANN] Binding Width template

    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2011
      We seem to have a recent bug that prevents binding width from being set in Page Setup. Also known as gutter margins, this feature lets you add e.g. a half-inch to the left side of odd-numbered pages and the right side of even-numbered pages.

      I've just posted a template that has this .5 inch space set. Put it in your Templates folder, and either start from it for a document you will have bound, or select all, copy and paste into a new doc made from the template. Note that this won't transfer styles, macros and other resources in the document; you'll need to move those using the Librarian.

      In the Files section here, as Binding Width template.sit.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 27, 2011
        A question based on pure curiosity: How did you create this? It seems impossible by ordinary means, but it works!

        Message 3 of 7 , May 27, 2011
          I had a document with binding width set (as it happens, the Scripting Guide).

          Somewhere in the 3.5 - 3.5.4 version progression, a bug crept in such that figure box captions, which normally you can set inside or outside the box, could only be set in the box. I like them outside the box and, until the bug was fixed, would copy a figure with a caption from an existing document and paste it into a new document. I'd then replace the contents of the box and the caption with new data, and the setting would stick.

          I thought that might work here, and it did. But after posting it, I noticed some weirdness with the Laserwriter 8 driver -- side margins were funny. I switched to the Adobe PDF driver, and that was fine. So I need to look more at getting this template to work well with the Laserwriter driver.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2011
            Template works fine with Laserwriter 8 driver.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2011
              What baffles me about this is that I can't find ANY version in which binding width worked correctly. I can't make the setting "stick" under 2.1.3, 3.0A, or 3.5.4. It must have worked somewhere along the line, but I can't figure out when or where...

              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2011
                Alternatively, it's a System problem, not a WP problem - WP sends an
                instruction that the OS cannot handle?

                geoff

                Geoff Gilbert
                Professor of Law
                Head of the School of Law
                School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                University of Essex
                Wivenhoe Park
                Colchester
                CO4 3SQ

                Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2011
                  I see the same results under 7.3, 7.5.5, 8.6, 9.0.4, and 9.2.1 on various SheepShaver and Basilisk setups and on two real Macs. Strange.