[ANN] Minor improvement to WPMacPPC Appliance

    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2011
      One of the annoying things about existing versions of my WPMacPPC Appliance (a system that runs WPMac under SheepShaver running system 7.5.5 - the system runs on Intel Macs but emulates an old PowerPC Mac) was this: when it started up, WPMac was NOT the foreground application. The foreground application was an AppleScript that ran in SheepShaver during startup.

      I've now fixed the AppleScript so that WordPerfect is the foreground application when SheepShaver starts up. It still (deliberately) doesn't open with a blank document, because you may want to open an existing one, but you can press Cmd-N to create a new document.

      If you already have the WPMacPPC Appliance, all you need to do is replace the old version of the script with the new version, which is downloadable in this ZIP file (which should be opened under OS X):

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/RunOpenWPFilesAppleScript.zip

      Unzip the ZIP file to find the ~Run Open WP Files script. Open the WPMacPPC Appliance, and quit the existing ~Run Open WP Files script. Open the WPMacPPC disk on the desktop, open the Startup Items folder from the Alias in the window. Replace the existing ~Run Open WP Files script with the new one. You might also want to replace the backup copy of the script that you'll find to the right of the Startup Items alias in the window. Restart the WPMacPPC Appliance.

      You can also download an updated version of the full WPMacPPC Appliance from its usual download link:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2011
        This system (which uses SheepShaver to run WPMac under System 7.5.5) has now been updated to include version 3.3 of Gero Hermann's plug-ins for QuickLook and Spotlight. The new versions of the plugins are automatically installed in your OS X system the first time you run the new version of the WPMacPPC Appliance. Download link is still:

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

        I didn't know until recently that you can press Cmd-Y on a file to launch the QuickLook previewer. I mention it here only because others might be as backwards as I was about this useful keystroke.