[ANN:] An AppleScript to set filetype to WP

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2011
      Anyone who uses files created by WPDOS on a Mac may encounter this problem: unless the files have a WPD or WP (or some other standard extension), they won't be recognized as WordPerfect files, and won't open in WPMac (or whatever other application you choose as the default application for WP files). The same problem can occur with WPMac files that have lost their resource forks.

      So, inspired by the Mac OS AppleScripts in John's SheepShaver-WP, I've written an OS X AppleScript application that lets you drop one or more files on it (or select a file from a list) and it will tell OS X to treat the file as a WordPerfect file. Specifically, it sets the default application for that file to whatever application you use by default to open WP files on your system, which might be John and Smokey's "Open Files in WP," or my "WPMacPPC," or a converter program, or LibreOffice or NeoOffice if you use either of them to edit WP files.

      One benefit of it is that it Gero Herrmann's Spotlight and QuickLook filters will index and display the contents of any file that you mark as a WP file by using this AppleScript.

      The AppleScript is very messy and bloated, and it includes some code that doesn't actually do anything now, but which may do things in the future if needed. But it seems fairly effective. It automatically applies the correct file type to files created by many different versions of WPDOS, WPWin, and WPMac. It even lets you force OS X to recognize a file with a "DOC" or "TXT" extension as a WP file.

      I don't regard it as a finished product, but I don't think it can do much harm, and it might be helpful. If anyone would like to try it, it's here:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/Set%20File%20to%20WP.zip

      By the way, it uses this clever command-line tool:

      http://www.hamsoftengineering.com/codeSharing/defaultApplication/defaultApplication.html

      to determine what is the current default application for WP files. If you don't have a current default application for WP files, then this script can't do anything at all.

      Someone may be tempted to ask, "Why do I need this? I can do all this by hand by using Get Info and changing the 'Open with' setting for any file that I want to open with whatever application I use for WP files." The answer is that this is a lot easier and automated, and - whether or not this feature has any practical effect - it applies the correct file type to each version of WPMac files and to WPDOS/WIn 5.x files and WPDOS/Win 6 and later files. But, no, you absolutely do not NEED this. It's merely a convenience.