Interim solution for converting Japanese/Chinese/Korean WPMac

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2011
      At some point in the future, LibreOffice (and the WPLO Converter application based on it) will be able to convert WPMac files with Japanese/Chinese/Korean characters into other formats. Until then, I've put together a two-stage solution for converting those files, based on the latest experimental version of the libwpd WordPerfect conversion filter - the version that will eventually be built into LibreOffice.

      So, if you want to convert WPMac files with Japanese etc. characters, download this WPDtoODTConverter (based on an older script by Smokey Ardisson, with lots of kludg-y modifications by me)

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPDtoODTConverter.zip

      Drop one or more WP files into this application (or double-click on the application and select a file), and a copy will be created in ODT (Open Document) format - the format used by LibreOffice. You can open these files in LibreOffice and save them to RTF and DOC formats. Footnotes, page numbering, images, etc., will be preserved.

      Also, if you download the latest version of the WPLO Converter from this address, you can drop those ODT files onto it, and convert them to DOC or RTF or PDF format.

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

      One more detail about the WPDtoODTConverter application: if your WP document does not have footnotes, page numbering, graphics, etc., then you can use that application to convert WP files directly to RTF format. Just add the string "RTF" to the name of the application, and it will convert WP files directly to RTF files. Remember that this produces usable results only if your WP files are simple documents without footnotes, headers, pictures, etc.

      And a further detail: if you have WPMac or WPDOS 5.x password-protected files, and you know the password, the WPDtoODTConverter will convert them; you will be prompted for the password. Password-protected files created with later WPDOS/Win versions cannot be converted until you remove the password from the file in WP itself.

      These programs work on Intel machines only, under Leopard or Snow Leopard only.
    • TENCHIJI TEMPLE
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
        Thank You for continuing to work on our conversion issue.

        I have tried it with OSX 10.4.11 and I am given an error message that
        I need to Use 10.4 or later.

        I have also tried it with OSX 10.5.8 it crashes wpd2odt has
        unexpectedly quit.
        If you need the Apple Report let me know and I will send it tomorrow.

        I will try it on an OS10.6 Machine tomorrow.

        Again Thank you.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
          Well, that reveals two mistakes on the part of the author! First of all, if we are talking about the WPD to ODT Converter, it should have said 10.5 or later, not 10.4 or later. I'll fix that.

          As for the 10.5.8 crash - did that occur on an Intel or PPC machine? And does it crash all the time, or only with certain files?

          I'll get this sorted out sooner or later, I hope!

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, TENCHIJI TEMPLE <shingon@...> wrote:
          > I have tried it with OSX 10.4.11 and I am given an error message that
          > I need to Use 10.4 or later.
          >
          > I have also tried it with OSX 10.5.8 it crashes wpd2odt has
          > unexpectedly quit.
        • TENCHIJI TEMPLE
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
            This was a Macbook Pro (intel). Only two files were tested but with
            the same result and 100% of the time 12 tries.

            Great News!

            I have just tested it on a iMac10.6.3 And it works with the
            preliminary tests!

            I will now test it with various configurations of fonts etc.

            Thank You.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
              I've fixed the two mistakes that you caught - and I'm very glad you caught them. The version that you tested mistakenly included the 10.6-only executable file instead of the 10.5/10.6 version that I intended to include. It also had the wrong statement in the "wrong version" error message.

              I've now posted an improved version that should work under 10.5 and 10.6 (and on Intel only). Please try this new version on your 10.5 machine and let me know whether or not it works. It includes the very latest experimental version of the libwpd converter code.

              As before, the download link is here:

              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2011
                The WPDtoODTConverter is now updated to use the latest 0.9.2 version of the libwpd conversion software, and has a few other minor improvements. Same download link.

                To convert directly to RTF, change the name of the application to include "RTF" in the name. (It can have any name with RTF in it, for example caRTForhorse or anything else.)

                Again, the RTF output is useful for plain text files only. Page numbering, footnote numbering, headers, etc., will not be correctly converted. But the ODT output will have all those features if opened in LibreOffice.