New version 1.0.2 of "Open WP Files" available, can fix Spotlight problems

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2011
      Yesterday John R. posted a new version of "Open WP Files" that I sent
      him. v1.0.2 is recommended for everyone who has "Open WP Files" set
      as the default app for handling WP files in Mac OS X and who uses
      Spotlight to find WP files by content.

      I noticed last week that all of my WP files had a dynamic Spotlight
      content type (kMDItemContentType or Uniform Type Identifier [UTI])
      and that Spotlight wasn't indexing those files with Gero Herrmann's
      fantastic WordPerfect Spotlight importer. I eventually realized the
      problem was that "Open WP Files" was Mac OS X's default app for
      handling those WP files but the app did not define any UTIs for the
      files. The new v1.0.2 of "Open WP Files" now shares most of the UTI
      definitions from Gero's Spotlight importer.

      Unfortunately, just installing the new version of "Open WP Files" is
      not enough to fix existing files. I had to change the owner for each
      file ("Open with:" in the file's "Get Info" window in the Finder) to
      some other app and then change it back to "Open WP Files" to get the
      OS to assign the correct UTI to the files. Then of course I had to
      make Spotlight re-import the affected files.

      A file that has the correct Spotlight mapping (either to begin with,
      or after you've fixed it) should have this kMDItemContentType in the
      output of the 'mdls' terminal command:

      $ mdls /path/to/foo.wpd
      [...]
      kMDItemContentType = "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"
      [...]

      To cause Spotlight to reimport a corrected file, use 'mdimport':

      $ mdimport /path/to/foo.wpd

      or, after fixing all files, to reimport them all at once:

      $ mdimport -r /path/to/WordPerfect.mdimporter

      Note that if you have set some other Mac OS X app to be the owner of
      your WP files and that app doesn't have the UTI defintions in its
      plist, that app could cause similar problems and prevent Gero's
      importer from importing the content of your WP files. Those other
      apps will also have to have their plists updated to include the UTI
      definitions (I know Edward Mendelson is in the process of updating
      his "WPMacPPC Appliance").

      Best,
      Smokey
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2011
        Smokey,

        As far as I can tell, this problem doesn't occur with the existing version of the WPMacPPC Appliance, which shamelessly borrows exactly the same info.plist that you created for "Open WP Files." I can't imagine what went wrong on the system where you saw the problems. I've tested Spotlight on three different systems that have the WPMacPPC Appliance - two Snow Leopards, one Leopard - and indexing works perfectly on all three.

        The WPMacPPC Appliance automatically installs the Spotlight filter (and the QuickLook filter for 10.6), and Spotlight indexing seems to start automatically. So, at least in this aspect of things, the Appliance works reasonably well.

        Of course John's SheepShaver-WP system is still preferable to the WPMacPPC Appliance, and it uses far more robust, reliable, and up-to-date components. The only minor reason I can see to use the WPMacPPC Appliance system is that it doesn't need to be installed - just expand the ZIP archive on the DMG file, and run it. (It needs a few extra steps to set up printing for the first time.) John's system, however, easily repays the trivial effort needed to install it. I use my own system mostly because I enjoyed putting it together - mostly from parts already constructed by John and Smokey.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2011
          Well, Smokey was absolutely right, and I was mistaken to doubt his report. I encountered the same problem that he describes, when testing on a PowerPC Mac running OS X 10.5 (Leopard). It seems to occur on systems that have been updated from 10.4, but it's not clear whether it occurs on systems that have been newly installed.

          I've revised my WPMacPPC Appliance by modifying the info.plist file with the same changes that Smokey made in Open WP Files. I never knew that UTI Identifiers existed before this.

          If anyone is running the WPMacPPC Appliance on a system that doesn't index the contents of WP documents, then it may be worth the trouble to download the new version at

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

          If you're not experiencing the problem, then there's no need to bother. Thanks, Smokey, for finding and solving this.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2011
            Smokey, we should release an update just to fix my oversight in releasing the script without recompiling it, so that it will not already have a path to the unix folder, and thus read Sheepshaver's prefs to get one.

            Should any other revisions be made, to support Gero's new importer? If not, I can just fix the script and release 1.0.3. Otherwise, I don't know enough about UTI and content type to do anything useful.

            John R.