"Fast" printing in Snow Leopard?

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2011
      I recently "inherited" an Intel Mac-mini running Snow Leopard (my son didn't need it any more!) I chose to install the "Appliance" version of Sheepshaver. Although I got some hangs when i was getting things set up, it works very nicely. Somewhere I ran into Ed Mendelson's suggestion for how to use the IP address of a host (along with the right printer queue name) to print a faster than using the pdf/action script method. While I think I've followed all the instructions very carefully, several times, I can't seem to get to work -- the printer icon shows an ! and gives an error message saying there's an error.

      Has anybody else been able to use this way of printing in Snow Leopard? (the version of MacOS inside Sheepshaver is the one that comes with the distribution -- 7.5.5 I believer.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka MN
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2011
        1. My instructions for printing from SheepShaver to an IP printer are here:

        http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3331&start=0

        Scroll down to the message that begins "Here are the details of how to print to any OS X printer from Sheepshaver running under OS X."

        2. Those instructions will work when you use OS 9 (maybe OS 8, though I haven't tried it) in SheepShaver. They will NOT work when you use System 7.5.5 in SheepShaver. My WPMacPPP Appliance uses System 7.5.5, so those instructions will NOT work in my WPMacPPP Appliance. The only practical way to print from my WPMacPPP Appliance is to
        use the Folder Action Script method, which was pioneered by John Rethorst for his SheepShaver-WP setup, and which I shamelessly copied.

        You should feel free to modify my WPMacPPP Appliance by replacing the hard disk image with an image running OS 9.0.4; you will also need to replace the ROM file included in the Appliance package with a different ROM file. I haven't posted instructions for doing this, simply because it would take an enormous amount of time to spell it all out.

        > I recently "inherited" an Intel Mac-mini running Snow Leopard (my son didn't need it any more!) I chose to install the "Appliance" version of Sheepshaver. Although I got some hangs when i was getting things set up, it works very nicely. Somewhere I ran into Ed Mendelson's suggestion for how to use the IP address of a host (along with the right printer queue name) to print a faster than using the pdf/action script method. While I think I've followed all the instructions very carefully, several times, I can't seem to get to work -- the printer icon shows an ! and gives an error message saying there's an error.
        >
        > Has anybody else been able to use this way of printing in Snow Leopard? (the version of MacOS inside Sheepshaver is the one that comes with the distribution -- 7.5.5 I believer.
        >
        > Ted Lee
        > Minnetonka MN

      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2011

          > 1. My instructions for printing from SheepShaver to an IP printer are here:
          > They will NOT work when you use System 7.5.5 in SheepShaver.

          Thanks. I wondered if that might be the case. I probably have an early version of OS 9 around here somewhere, but beats me where!

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2011

            > 1. My instructions for printing from SheepShaver to an IP printer are here:
            >
            > http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3331&start=0
            >
            > Scroll down to the message that begins "Here are the details of how to print to any OS X printer from Sheepshaver running under OS X."
            >
            > 2. Those instructions will work when you use OS 9 (maybe OS 8, though I haven't tried it) in SheepShaver. They will NOT work when you use System 7.5.5 in SheepShaver.

            OK I found a copy of 9.0.4 and installed it. Seems to work fine. I tried following those instructions and couldn't get them to work. I suspect the problem may be that my local network is in the 192.x.x.x range (and of course the computer I'm trying to "share" the printer with is in that range) but when I look at TCP/IP in OS 9 (under Sheepshaver) it says it has an address in the 10.x.x.x range. This topic was sort of discussed in the emaculation forum but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Is Sheepshaver acting as the DHCP server for OS 9's TCP/IP? Maybe I should try putting in a static address in the 192.x.x.x range instead of using DHCP. Stay tuned...

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2011
              I deleted my earlier message, because I see that it contradicted the instructions given on the linked page. (I misremembered how these things work.) Can we resume this on the emaculation.com forum, which is where the instructions are posted? There are lots of people there who have got these instructions to work, and may be able to help.

              > > 1. My instructions for printing from SheepShaver to an IP printer are here:
              > >
              > > http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3331&start=0
              > >
              > > Scroll down to the message that begins "Here are the details of how to print to any OS X printer from Sheepshaver running under OS X."
              > >
              > > 2. Those instructions will work when you use OS 9 (maybe OS 8, though I haven't tried it) in SheepShaver. They will NOT work when you use System 7.5.5 in SheepShaver.
              >
              > OK I found a copy of 9.0.4 and installed it. Seems to work fine. I tried following those instructions and couldn't get them to work. I suspect the problem may be that my local network is in the 192.x.x.x range (and of course the computer I'm trying to "share" the printer with is in that range) but when I look at TCP/IP in OS 9 (under Sheepshaver) it says it has an address in the 10.x.x.x range. This topic was sort of discussed in the emaculation forum but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Is Sheepshaver acting as the DHCP server for OS 9's TCP/IP? Maybe I should try putting in a static address in the 192.x.x.x range instead of using DHCP. Stay tuned...
              >
              > Ted Lee
              > Minnetonka, MN

            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 26, 2011

                > I deleted my earlier message, because I see that it contradicted the instructions given on the linked page. (I misremembered how these things work.) Can we resume this on the emaculation.com forum, which is where the instructions are posted? There are lots of people there who have got these instructions to work, and may be able to help.

                Thanks for the push. I did that and got lots of suggestions. In the end it was just my impatience -- the solution was working fine but the print file sent over to CUPS was so big (2M -- for only one line of text!) it just took a long time and I thought it had hung.

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2011

                  > The only practical way to print from my WPMacPPP Appliance is to
                  > use the Folder Action Script method, which was pioneered by John
                  > Rethorst for his SheepShaver-WP setup, and which I shamelessly copied.

                  Memory is funny. And here I thought I had shamelessly stolen the printing method from Ed.

                  Anyway, it works and it's fast (and getting faster). WordPerfect is in general blindingly fast on newer machines.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2011
                    I took so much from your SheepShaver-WP that when I don't remember exactly where something comes from, it's safe to assume you thought of it first...!