Re: [wpmac] Re: What is WordPerfect Mac 4?

  • Syth
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2011
      On 13-Apr-2011, at 15:37, topcatdrc wrote:
      > I do remember reading that the Mac file system - original HFS ! - had a four character limitation in it. The extension (in today's OS X) and the old file type (creator was different??) is usually, up to, four (single-byte) characters.

      Mac OS had a 4 character field for storing file types, yes. These could be any four characters. It also had another 4 character field for storing the application associated with that file (the creator). For example, in BBEdit, the combination of TEXT/R*ch indicated that the file was a normal text file, and that it should be opened by BBEdit (R*ch) as opposed to, say, teachText (TTXT, IIRC).

      None of this had anything at all to do with extensions.
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
        So sad, so true. Yet, what does WP lack now? SheepShaver is as stable as Safari. WP itself never crashes. WP has, per "About This Particular Macintosh", the best outliner available in a word processor. It has full access to the OSX dictionary. It has a find/replace function, with the Regular Expressions addon, that's ten times better than MS Word's. It has a macro feature that, helped by the MetaMacro addon, is enormously powerful. And it has a 6800-member support group.

        Not too bad, methinks.

        John R.