Re: What is WordPerfect Mac 4?

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 9, 2011
      WP released 3.5e in 1997, before it was entirely bug-proofed, and so released a patch in 1998. When OS 8 came out there were some incompatibilities, fixed by an updater released in 2000. The version number confusingly continued to be 3.5e, so we thought that renaming the fully patched and updated version as 4.0 would be a good idea.

      BTW in this age of file extensions, we might find it helpful to add one to the 3.5e/4 format. Would ".wp4" be a good choice? I first learned WP in v. 4.2 for DOS, but I don't remember what extension it used.

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9, 2011
        I suppose my own feeling is that it's perhaps best to avoid confusion by leaving programs with their original names. WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced is what the rest of the world calls it, and it may muddy the waters a bit to call it something else, no matter how sensible that something else may be. (And the replacement Declaration-of-Independence splash screen might raise eyebrows when seen in a Canadian product like Corel WPMac, or anywhere outside the USA....)

        Are you thinking of modifying the actual file format so that it automatically adds an extension, as in OS X or Windows? That's an impressive change. (WPDOS never had a default file extension; that was introduced only for Windows.) It might be worth keeping in mind that .WP4 might confuse others into thinking it was referring to WPDOS 4.x. If a file extension would have any value at all, why not .WP35e or .WPMac? There's no rule under OS X or Windows that says extensions must have three characters only. I've seen seven-character extensions.

        > WP released 3.5e in 1997, before it was entirely bug-proofed, and so released a patch in 1998. When OS 8 came out there were some incompatibilities, fixed by an updater released in 2000. The version number confusingly continued to be 3.5e, so we thought that renaming the fully patched and updated version as 4.0 would be a good idea.
        >
        > BTW in this age of file extensions, we might find it helpful to add one to the 3.5e/4 format. Would ".wp4" be a good choice? I first learned WP in v. 4.2 for DOS, but I don't remember what extension it used.

        > > "WordPerfect Mac 4" is simply the name that SheepShaver-WordPerfect applies to WPMac 3.5e. When WPMac 3.5e was being developed, it was intended that it would be released as WPMa 4, but then development stopped and Corel released it as WPMac 3.5 Enhanced. The SheepShaver system gives it its intended name. Otherwise, it is byte-for-byte identical with what you are familiar with as 3.5e. John Rethorst is the author of that system, and may want to chime in here.
        > >
        > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jolinwarren" <freecycle.2006.jolinwarren@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > One question I have, though -- SheepShaver-WordPerfect comes with WordPerfect Mac 4. I'd never heard of this, what is it? The last version I was aware of was 3.5e.

      • Mikeca
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 9, 2011
          "There's no rule under OS X or Windows that says extensions must have three
          characters only. I've seen seven-character extensions."

          but only the first 3 are used after the dot... the rest ignored... except in
          iOS:

          It won't recognize any affix that is greater or less than 3 characters. And the
          titles preceding the affix must be exactly 8 characters, no spaces.

          So some OS's are more restrictive than others... probably only important if
          you're porting WP to be used on a iOS device such as an iPad.

          Mikeca

          ________________________________
          I suppose my own feeling is that it's perhaps best to avoid confusion by leaving
          programs with their original names. WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5 Enhanced is what
          the rest of the world calls it, and it may muddy the waters a bit to call it
          something else, no matter how sensible that something else may be. (And the
          replacement Declaration-of-Independence splash screen might raise eyebrows when
          seen in a Canadian product like Corel WPMac, or anywhere outside the USA....)

          Are you thinking of modifying the actual file format so that it automatically
          adds an extension, as in OS X or Windows? That's an impressive change. (WPDOS
          never had a default file extension; that was introduced only for Windows.) It
          might be worth keeping in mind that .WP4 might confuse others into thinking it
          was referring to WPDOS 4.x. If a file extension would have any value at all, why
          not .WP35e or .WPMac? There's no rule under OS X or Windows that says extensions
          must have three characters only. I've seen seven-character extensions.

          > WP released 3.5e in 1997, before it was entirely bug-proofed, and so released a
          >patch in 1998. When OS 8 came out there were some incompatibilities, fixed by an
          >updater released in 2000. The version number confusingly continued to be 3.5e,
          >so we thought that renaming the fully patched and updated version as 4.0 would
          >be a good idea.
          >
          > BTW in this age of file extensions, we might find it helpful to add one to the
          >3.5e/4 format. Would ".wp4" be a good choice? I first learned WP in v. 4.2 for
          >DOS, but I don't remember what extension it used.

          > > "WordPerfect Mac 4" is simply the name that SheepShaver-WordPerfect applies
          >to WPMac 3.5e. When WPMac 3.5e was being developed, it was intended that it
          >would be released as WPMa 4, but then development stopped and Corel released it
          >as WPMac 3.5 Enhanced. The SheepShaver system gives it its intended name.
          >Otherwise, it is byte-for-byte identical with what you are familiar with as
          >3.5e. John Rethorst is the author of that system, and may want to chime in here.
          > >
          > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jolinwarren"
          ><freecycle.2006.jolinwarren@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > One question I have, though -- SheepShaver-WordPerfect comes with
          >WordPerfect Mac 4. I'd never heard of this, what is it? The last version I was
          >aware of was 3.5e.

        • Kevin McCoy
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 9, 2011
            It has been customary to make the extension the file type, in which
            case it would be .WPD4 (file types are case sensitive, so that throws
            a wrench into case insensitive file systems).

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9, 2011
              .WPD4 seems best, then - doesn't conflict with anything else.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 9, 2011
                I'm curious where you get the idea that only the first three characters of an extension are recognized. In which operating system? This statement is absolutely not true about Windows or OS X.

                Or are you referring to iOS? If so, it hardly matters in this case. There is no iOS software that can read WPMac files, and certainly never will be.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Mikeca <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                > "There's no rule under OS X or Windows that says extensions must have three
                > characters only. I've seen seven-character extensions."
                >
                > but only the first 3 are used after the dot... the rest ignored... except in
                > iOS:
                >
                > It won't recognize any affix that is greater or less than 3 characters. And the
                > titles preceding the affix must be exactly 8 characters, no spaces.
              • jolinwarren
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2011
                  Thanks John and em315 for the explanations. That makes sense. It's great to have WPMac back. How I miss it. It's a real shame that Corel won't make the code available so it could be developed again by those who have the talent and interest.
                • topcatdrc
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
                    Dear Group:

                    I do remember reading that the Mac file system - original HFS ! - had a four character limitation in it. The extension (in today's OS X) and the old file type (creator was different??) is usually, up to, four (single-byte) characters.

                    Therefor, the WPD4 seems to me an excellent choice.

                    Now, the problem is to get "the rest of us" (the world) to go along with it! Converters / exporters / importers to / from WPD4 etc.

                    Sincerely,

                    Thomas Clayton

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 15, 2011
                      On 13-Apr-2011, at 15:37, topcatdrc wrote:
                      > I do remember reading that the Mac file system - original HFS ! - had a four character limitation in it. The extension (in today's OS X) and the old file type (creator was different??) is usually, up to, four (single-byte) characters.

                      Mac OS had a 4 character field for storing file types, yes. These could be any four characters. It also had another 4 character field for storing the application associated with that file (the creator). For example, in BBEdit, the combination of TEXT/R*ch indicated that the file was a normal text file, and that it should be opened by BBEdit (R*ch) as opposed to, say, teachText (TTXT, IIRC).

                      None of this had anything at all to do with extensions.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
                        So sad, so true. Yet, what does WP lack now? SheepShaver is as stable as Safari. WP itself never crashes. WP has, per "About This Particular Macintosh", the best outliner available in a word processor. It has full access to the OSX dictionary. It has a find/replace function, with the Regular Expressions addon, that's ten times better than MS Word's. It has a macro feature that, helped by the MetaMacro addon, is enormously powerful. And it has a 6800-member support group.

                        Not too bad, methinks.

                        John R.