Struggling to Open a Wordperfect File through Abiword and Office for Mac 2011

  • Christopher Carter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2011
      Hello, all. I have two questions:

      1. I am a novice at these things, but am trying to get a wpd opened through
      Office for Mac 2011. I have downloaded Abiword, and am unable to open the 300
      page wpd. What would you suggest to be my best route for opening wpd's using
      Mac OS X? The wpd is in WordPerfect's 2004 format.

      2. When downloading updates to Abiword (from 2.4.5 to 2.6.8), will Mac
      automatically place the update into it's right place, or are there steps I must
      take to put the updates in appropriate files?

      I did say I am a novice at such technicalities.

      Would greatly appreciate any direction you could offer.

      Thank you.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2011
        Abiword uses an outdated version of the "libwpd" WordPerfect import filter. The most up-to-date version is in the latest version of LibreOffice. But you don't need LibreOffice itself. The simplest thing to do is download the "WPLO Converter" described at the top of this message:

        Drag the file into the WPLO Converter application, and it should create a copy in Word format in the same folder with the original. You may need to start the WPLO Converter application twice or even three times before it gets the job done, because of bugs in the underlying LibreOffice code.

        Please report the results.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
          I've now posted a guide to using WP files on a Mac under OS X (in other words, not under Boot Camp):

          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpfilesinosx.html