Re: [wpmac] Re: OSX utilities (was: PS to PDF problem)

  • Joseph Bush
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2011
      It should be noted that Applejack has deeper repair capabilities and
      uses the command line interface (at least the version I use), while
      Onyx is a Cocoa app with a graphical UI.

      Joe.

      On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:31 AM, a k wrote:

      > I've used the freeware program Applejack for clean up the
      > preferences and other settings on my macs. Search for it on
      > www.macupdate.com. On the question of Preview not opening ps or pdf
      > files, I assume that the "open with" option (in the "Get Info"
      > option) is set for Preview.Hope this helps.

    • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2011
        Hi, John.

        Thank you for the suggestions.

        I've done most of these Onyx routines routinely, though I do not reset
        the Launch Services database all the time. I just did that, and tried
        to open a PS file again. Still freezes Preview. My problem may be
        deeper than Preview, however. Since updating 10.4.9 to 10.4.11 (using
        the combo updater, of course), I have been unable to print without first
        running Printer Setup Repair to get CUPS running.

        Sometime soon I plan to install Snow Leopard on a separate partition.
        If all goes well, I hope to use it for SS (as well as a few other things
        that don't like Tiger any more).

        As for utilities, I think we have a consensus. Most of the time I use
        Onyx for its maintenance and cleaning routines (once a week ideally,
        after backing up my HD using SuperDuper), or once in a while MainMenu.
        I have used AppleJack to check on things after crashes and such.

        Tom