PS to PDF problem

  • tjrostaf
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2011
      Hi, Everyone.

      Has anyone run into the bug wherein OSX's Preview app stops converting PS files to PDF (or, indeed, just opening them)?

      When I try to print a PS file created in SS from a WP file, or just open it as a PDF, Preview freezes, eventually the spinning beach ball makes its appearance, and Activity Monitor confirms that Preview, which by this time may be using more than 100% of the CPU, is not responding. I have to force quit it.

      This problem has only started this week.

      I've not been able to find anything on this on our site or at Emaculation. There are some apple.com postings, indicating that this is a known if not very common problem. Recommendations included trying the conversion process in another user account, or reinstalling Preview. I have done both, in addition to deleting com.apple.Preview.plist from the Preferences folder. Nothing has worked so far.

      This concerns me because of how integral the PS to PDF conversion process is to our using WP in SS. I have verified that the problem does not lie with LaserWriter 8 making bad PS files; the PS files open just fine in WinXP (which I am able to run in Parallels) using a freeware called PDFCreator. I thus have a workaround, though I would of course rather not resort to it. It is a lot more cumbersome than simply having Preview open the PS file. Except that now Preview won't.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2011
        Have you tried doing a disk Verify with Disk Utility? General system cleanup with Onyx? Maybe also reset the Launch Services database with Onyx?

        John R.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2011
          Not very OT, since many of us are on OSX, and enjoying a faster and cleaner WordPerfect than ever before.

          To my limited knowledge, the Onyx utility discussed below is, more or less, the best of its kind. My limited knowledge may be very out of date. Anyone care to update us?

          > Have you tried doing a disk Verify with Disk Utility? General system cleanup with Onyx? Maybe also reset the Launch Services database with Onyx?
          >
          > John R.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tjrostaf" <TJRostaf@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, Everyone.
          > >
          > > Has anyone run into the bug wherein OSX's Preview app stops converting PS files to PDF (or, indeed, just opening them)?
        • a k
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2011
            I've used the freeware program Applejack for clean up the preferences and other settings on my macs. Search for it on www.macupdate.com. On the question of Preview not opening ps or pdf files, I assume that the "open with" option (in the "Get Info" option) is set for Preview.Hope this helps.

          • Joseph Bush
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2011
              It should be noted that Applejack has deeper repair capabilities and
              uses the command line interface (at least the version I use), while
              Onyx is a Cocoa app with a graphical UI.

              Joe.

              On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:31 AM, a k wrote:

              > I've used the freeware program Applejack for clean up the
              > preferences and other settings on my macs. Search for it on
              > www.macupdate.com. On the question of Preview not opening ps or pdf
              > files, I assume that the "open with" option (in the "Get Info"
              > option) is set for Preview.Hope this helps.

            • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 23, 2011
                Hi, John.

                Thank you for the suggestions.

                I've done most of these Onyx routines routinely, though I do not reset
                the Launch Services database all the time. I just did that, and tried
                to open a PS file again. Still freezes Preview. My problem may be
                deeper than Preview, however. Since updating 10.4.9 to 10.4.11 (using
                the combo updater, of course), I have been unable to print without first
                running Printer Setup Repair to get CUPS running.

                Sometime soon I plan to install Snow Leopard on a separate partition.
                If all goes well, I hope to use it for SS (as well as a few other things
                that don't like Tiger any more).

                As for utilities, I think we have a consensus. Most of the time I use
                Onyx for its maintenance and cleaning routines (once a week ideally,
                after backing up my HD using SuperDuper), or once in a while MainMenu.
                I have used AppleJack to check on things after crashes and such.

                Tom