Re: [ANN] Another WordPerfect to DOC/RTF/PDF converter

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
      Very easy. I will post a revised version that you can open in the AppleScript editor and change one line, and the converted file automatically open. I will announce the new version here when it is ready.

      Excellent idea!

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:

      > Helo
      > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
      > Regards
      > Peter
    • Peter Ehrensperger
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
        Thanx a lot
        Am 01.03.2011 um 14:43 schrieb em315:

        > Very easy. I will post a revised version that you can open in the AppleScript editor and change one line, and the converted file automatically open. I will announce the new version here when it is ready.
        >
        > Excellent idea!
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Helo
        > > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
        > > Regards
        > > Peter

        Peter Ehrensperger
        peter.ehrensperger@...

        home.mnet-online.de/kletzn

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
          I've posted a revised version of this converter:

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

          If you want to open the converted file automatically, open the WPLO Converter in the AppleScript editor (ignore any warnings about the dictionary not being scriptable), and near the top change the line that reads:

          property openFile : false

          so that the last word is true, not false, like this:

          property openFile : true

          This will cause the converted file to open in the default application for that format.

          If you want the file to open in a different application from the default application for that format, then look at the lines below that read

          property docApp : ""

          If you want to use (for example) TextEdit to open converted DOC files, then insert TextEdit between the quotation marks. You can do the same for the rtfApp line to specify the application that will open RTF files, and the same for the pdfApp line to specify the application that opens PDF files. You do NOT need to specify these applications - the converted file will open in the default application unless you specify a different one here.

          Remember, you must change property openFile to read "true" (no quotation marks) if you want the converted file to open after it is created. If you do leave property openFile as "false", then any change you make to property docApp (or property rtfApp or property pdfApp) will have no effect. The docApp, rtfApp, and pdfApp options ONLY have an effect when property openFile is set to true.

          If you find this converter useful, please feel free to visit this page:

          http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
            Another way to let the user specify an application to open a document is to make an initially empty script property, and then early in the run handler look to see if it's still empty; if so ask the user to specify an application, which information will then be saved with the script:

            property docApp : ""

            if docApp = "" then
            set docApp to (choose file with prompt "Choose a file to open converted documents:" of type "APPL" default location path to applications folder)
            end if

            > I've posted a revised version of this converter:
            >
            > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip
            >
            > If you want to open the converted file automatically, open the WPLO Converter in the AppleScript editor (ignore any warnings about the dictionary not being scriptable), and near the top change the line that reads:
            >
            > property openFile : false
            >
            > so that the last word is true, not false, like this:
            >
            > property openFile : true
            >
            > This will cause the converted file to open in the default application for that format.
            >
            > If you want the file to open in a different application from the default application for that format, then look at the lines below that read
            >
            > property docApp : ""
            >
            > If you want to use (for example) TextEdit to open converted DOC files, then insert TextEdit between the quotation marks. You can do the same for the rtfApp line to specify the application that will open RTF files, and the same for the pdfApp line to specify the application that opens PDF files. You do NOT need to specify these applications - the converted file will open in the default application unless you specify a different one here.
            >
            > Remember, you must change property openFile to read "true" (no quotation marks) if you want the converted file to open after it is created. If you do leave property openFile as "false", then any change you make to property docApp (or property rtfApp or property pdfApp) will have no effect. The docApp, rtfApp, and pdfApp options ONLY have an effect when property openFile is set to true.
            >
            > If you find this converter useful, please feel free to visit this page:
            >
            > http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html
            >

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Helo
            > > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
            > > Regards
            > > Peter

          • Peter Ehrensperger
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
              Helo
              after same problems with applescript it works perfectly.

              Unfotunaly Donation is not working!

              Regards
              Peter!

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                This reminds me of how little I know about AppleScript - thank you. I haven't added this yet, but I've posted a slightly improved version of the application that fixes the display of the status messages (no ruler bar in TextEdit if the ruler bar is turned on). Also, if you want the converted file to open automatically after it's created, you can accomplish that without editing the AppleScript - just add the word "open" to the name of the application as in (for example) "WP Convert and Open". The download link is still:

                http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

                I'll implement John's suggestion in a similar way - I'll specify a string to add to the name when you want to specify the application to use to open the converted file. But that will take a moment. (I want to figure out how to tell what the default application is...)

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Very glad to hear it! Donations should work now: (http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html).

                  Best wishes.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                    default application of (info for file "path to file")

                    e.g.

                    default application of (info for (choose file))

                    (I want to figure out how to tell what the default application is...)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
                      Thank you! There is also a third-party utility that will return the full list of applications that OS X knows will open a file:

                      http://www.hamsoftengineering.com/codeSharing/AllApplications/AllApplications.html

                      With that, one could offer the user a list of suitable applications, after converting the output (a text file) into a list.