Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [wpmac] [ANN] Another WordPerfect to DOC/RTF/PDF converter

Expand Messages
  • Bob Stern
    ... Thanks very much, but it didn t work on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. It repeatedly failed to launch the required background processes. Are the
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      >em315 wrote:
      >
      >I've put together another program that converts WP documents to DOC,
      >RTF, or PDF formats; this one is probably more effective than any
      >comparable program. It combines two existing programs in an
      >AppleScript that manages the files: the two existing programs are a
      >substantial part of LibreOffice 3.3.1 and the JODConverter, which
      >uses LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org to convert documents between
      >different formats.


      Thanks very much, but it didn't work on my Macbook Pro running Snow
      Leopard. It repeatedly failed to launch the required background
      processes.

      Are the conversion libraries the same as would be used if you launch
      OpenOffice, import the WP document, and then export to DOC, RTF, or
      PDF?
      --

      Bob Stern
    • em315
      It sometimes fails repeatedly until you restart the machine, and then it works. The underlying software is notoriously buggy, alas. Yes, the conversion results
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        It sometimes fails repeatedly until you restart the machine, and then it works. The underlying software is notoriously buggy, alas.

        Yes, the conversion results are the same as if you used LibreOffice 3.3.1. If you're still using OpenOffice.org, then you're using an older and less capable version of the converters.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stern <bob_stern@...> wrote:
        > Thanks very much, but it didn't work on my Macbook Pro running Snow
        > Leopard. It repeatedly failed to launch the required background
        > processes.
        >
        > Are the conversion libraries the same as would be used if you launch
        > OpenOffice, import the WP document, and then export to DOC, RTF, or
        > PDF?
        > --
        >
        > Bob Stern
        >
      • em315
        This works only to convert FROM WP to DOC/RTF/PDF. It cannot convert anything TO WordPerfect. I should have specified: it s for Leopard or Snow Leopard only.
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          This works only to convert FROM WP to DOC/RTF/PDF. It cannot convert anything TO WordPerfect.

          I should have specified: it's for Leopard or Snow Leopard only. It may work under Tiger, but I haven't tried it there.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Hokanson Jr." <john.hokanson.jr@...> wrote:
          >
          > Two questions:
          >
          > 1. Does it IMPORT .doc? Because that's always been the biggest pain in using WP 3.5e.
          >
          > 2. Will this run native in 9.2.2 or Classic?
          >
        • em315
          After reading your message, I figured out what the problem was on your system, and I think I know how to solve it. I ve withdrawn the file until I can get a
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            After reading your message, I figured out what the problem was on your system, and I think I know how to solve it. I've withdrawn the file until I can get a moment to change the Applescript, I hope later today or tomorrow.

            Apologies for making you waste your time. At least other people won't have the problem after I add the fix.



            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stern <bob_stern@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > Thanks very much, but it didn't work on my Macbook Pro running Snow
            > Leopard. It repeatedly failed to launch the required background
            > processes.
            >
            > Are the conversion libraries the same as would be used if you launch
            > OpenOffice, import the WP document, and then export to DOC, RTF, or
            > PDF?
            > --
            >
            > Bob Stern
            >
          • em315
            I ve now fixed this problem (I hope) and it should work without problems now. Same link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip Thanks again for
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              I've now fixed this problem (I hope) and it should work without problems now. Same link:

              http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

              Thanks again for prompting me to solve this one.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stern <bob_stern@...> wrote:
              > Thanks very much, but it didn't work on my Macbook Pro running Snow
              > Leopard. It repeatedly failed to launch the required background
              > processes.
            • Bob Stern
              ... Yes, that fixed it! Thanks a million! -- Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                >em315 wrote:
                >
                >I've now fixed this problem (I hope) and it should work without problems now.


                Yes, that fixed it! Thanks a million!
                --

                Bob Stern
              • peterehre
                Helo would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages? Regards Peter
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 28, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  Helo
                  would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
                  Regards
                  Peter

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I've put together another program that converts WP documents to DOC, RTF, or PDF formats; this one is probably more effective than any comparable program. It combines two existing programs in an AppleScript that manages the files: the two existing programs are a substantial part of LibreOffice 3.3.1 and the JODConverter, which uses LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org to convert documents between different formats.
                  >
                  > It's a large download (137MB) but the results may be worth it:
                  >
                  > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip
                  >
                  > By default, it converts WP files to Word (.DOC) format. If you change the name of the "WPLO Converter" program so that it includes RTF (for example, "WPLO RTF Converter"), it will export RTF files. If you change the name so that it includes PDF, it will export PDF files.
                  >
                  > To use the program, drag one or more files to the program itself, or double-click the program to select a file. The converted file will be in the same folder with the original, but with an additional .DOC or .RTF or .PDF extension.
                  >
                • em315
                  Very easy. I will post a revised version that you can open in the AppleScript editor and change one line, and the converted file automatically open. I will
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Very easy. I will post a revised version that you can open in the AppleScript editor and change one line, and the converted file automatically open. I will announce the new version here when it is ready.

                    Excellent idea!

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Helo
                    > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
                    > Regards
                    > Peter
                  • Peter Ehrensperger
                    Thanx a lot ... Peter Ehrensperger peter.ehrensperger@gmx.de home.mnet-online.de/kletzn [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Thanx a lot
                      Am 01.03.2011 um 14:43 schrieb em315:

                      > Very easy. I will post a revised version that you can open in the AppleScript editor and change one line, and the converted file automatically open. I will announce the new version here when it is ready.
                      >
                      > Excellent idea!
                      >
                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Helo
                      > > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
                      > > Regards
                      > > Peter
                      >
                      >

                      Peter Ehrensperger
                      peter.ehrensperger@...

                      home.mnet-online.de/kletzn



                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • em315
                      I ve posted a revised version of this converter: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip If you want to open the converted file automatically, open
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I've posted a revised version of this converter:

                        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

                        If you want to open the converted file automatically, open the WPLO Converter in the AppleScript editor (ignore any warnings about the dictionary not being scriptable), and near the top change the line that reads:

                        property openFile : false

                        so that the last word is true, not false, like this:

                        property openFile : true

                        This will cause the converted file to open in the default application for that format.

                        If you want the file to open in a different application from the default application for that format, then look at the lines below that read

                        property docApp : ""

                        If you want to use (for example) TextEdit to open converted DOC files, then insert TextEdit between the quotation marks. You can do the same for the rtfApp line to specify the application that will open RTF files, and the same for the pdfApp line to specify the application that opens PDF files. You do NOT need to specify these applications - the converted file will open in the default application unless you specify a different one here.

                        Remember, you must change property openFile to read "true" (no quotation marks) if you want the converted file to open after it is created. If you do leave property openFile as "false", then any change you make to property docApp (or property rtfApp or property pdfApp) will have no effect. The docApp, rtfApp, and pdfApp options ONLY have an effect when property openFile is set to true.

                        If you find this converter useful, please feel free to visit this page:

                        http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html


                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Helo
                        > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
                        > Regards
                        > Peter
                      • John R
                        Another way to let the user specify an application to open a document is to make an initially empty script property, and then early in the run handler look to
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Another way to let the user specify an application to open a document is to make an initially empty script property, and then early in the run handler look to see if it's still empty; if so ask the user to specify an application, which information will then be saved with the script:

                          property docApp : ""

                          if docApp = "" then
                          set docApp to (choose file with prompt "Choose a file to open converted documents:" of type "APPL" default location path to applications folder)
                          end if

                          John R.




                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > I've posted a revised version of this converter:
                          >
                          > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip
                          >
                          > If you want to open the converted file automatically, open the WPLO Converter in the AppleScript editor (ignore any warnings about the dictionary not being scriptable), and near the top change the line that reads:
                          >
                          > property openFile : false
                          >
                          > so that the last word is true, not false, like this:
                          >
                          > property openFile : true
                          >
                          > This will cause the converted file to open in the default application for that format.
                          >
                          > If you want the file to open in a different application from the default application for that format, then look at the lines below that read
                          >
                          > property docApp : ""
                          >
                          > If you want to use (for example) TextEdit to open converted DOC files, then insert TextEdit between the quotation marks. You can do the same for the rtfApp line to specify the application that will open RTF files, and the same for the pdfApp line to specify the application that opens PDF files. You do NOT need to specify these applications - the converted file will open in the default application unless you specify a different one here.
                          >
                          > Remember, you must change property openFile to read "true" (no quotation marks) if you want the converted file to open after it is created. If you do leave property openFile as "false", then any change you make to property docApp (or property rtfApp or property pdfApp) will have no effect. The docApp, rtfApp, and pdfApp options ONLY have an effect when property openFile is set to true.
                          >
                          > If you find this converter useful, please feel free to visit this page:
                          >
                          > http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html
                          >
                          >
                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "peterehre" <peter.ehrensperger@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Helo
                          > > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted WP-File in Pages?
                          > > Regards
                          > > Peter
                          >
                        • Peter Ehrensperger
                          Helo after same problems with applescript it works perfectly. Unfotunaly Donation is not working! Regards Peter! ... [Non-text portions of this message have
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Helo
                            after same problems with applescript it works perfectly.

                            Unfotunaly Donation is not working!

                            Regards
                            Peter!
                            Am 01.03.2011 16:20, schrieb em315:
                            >
                            > I've posted a revised version of this converter:
                            >
                            > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip
                            >
                            > If you want to open the converted file automatically, open the WPLO
                            > Converter in the AppleScript editor (ignore any warnings about the
                            > dictionary not being scriptable), and near the top change the line
                            > that reads:
                            >
                            > property openFile : false
                            >
                            > so that the last word is true, not false, like this:
                            >
                            > property openFile : true
                            >
                            > This will cause the converted file to open in the default application
                            > for that format.
                            >
                            > If you want the file to open in a different application from the
                            > default application for that format, then look at the lines below that
                            > read
                            >
                            > property docApp : ""
                            >
                            > If you want to use (for example) TextEdit to open converted DOC files,
                            > then insert TextEdit between the quotation marks. You can do the same
                            > for the rtfApp line to specify the application that will open RTF
                            > files, and the same for the pdfApp line to specify the application
                            > that opens PDF files. You do NOT need to specify these applications -
                            > the converted file will open in the default application unless you
                            > specify a different one here.
                            >
                            > Remember, you must change property openFile to read "true" (no
                            > quotation marks) if you want the converted file to open after it is
                            > created. If you do leave property openFile as "false", then any change
                            > you make to property docApp (or property rtfApp or property pdfApp)
                            > will have no effect. The docApp, rtfApp, and pdfApp options ONLY have
                            > an effect when property openFile is set to true.
                            >
                            > If you find this converter useful, please feel free to visit this page:
                            >
                            > http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html
                            >
                            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, "peterehre"
                            > <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Helo
                            > > would it be possible to change this script to open the converted
                            > WP-File in Pages?
                            > > Regards
                            > > Peter
                            >
                            >



                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • em315
                            This reminds me of how little I know about AppleScript - thank you. I haven t added this yet, but I ve posted a slightly improved version of the application
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                            • 0 Attachment
                              This reminds me of how little I know about AppleScript - thank you. I haven't added this yet, but I've posted a slightly improved version of the application that fixes the display of the status messages (no ruler bar in TextEdit if the ruler bar is turned on). Also, if you want the converted file to open automatically after it's created, you can accomplish that without editing the AppleScript - just add the word "open" to the name of the application as in (for example) "WP Convert and Open". The download link is still:

                              http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

                              I'll implement John's suggestion in a similar way - I'll specify a string to add to the name when you want to specify the application to use to open the converted file. But that will take a moment. (I want to figure out how to tell what the default application is...)

                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > Another way to let the user specify an application to open a document is to make an initially empty script property, and then early in the run handler look to see if it's still empty; if so ask the user to specify an application, which information will then be saved with the script:
                            • em315
                              Very glad to hear it! Donations should work now: (http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html). Best wishes.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Very glad to hear it! Donations should work now: (http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html).

                                Best wishes.

                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Peter Ehrensperger <peter.ehrensperger@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Helo
                                > after same problems with applescript it works perfectly.
                                >
                                > Unfotunaly Donation is not working!
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Peter!
                              • John R
                                default application of (info for file path to file ) e.g. default application of (info for (choose file)) ... (I want to figure out how to tell what the
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  default application of (info for file "path to file")

                                  e.g.

                                  default application of (info for (choose file))




                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                                  (I want to figure out how to tell what the default application is...)
                                • em315
                                  Thank you! There is also a third-party utility that will return the full list of applications that OS X knows will open a file:
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    Thank you! There is also a third-party utility that will return the full list of applications that OS X knows will open a file:

                                    http://www.hamsoftengineering.com/codeSharing/AllApplications/AllApplications.html

                                    With that, one could offer the user a list of suitable applications, after converting the output (a text file) into a list.

                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > default application of (info for file "path to file")
                                    >
                                    > e.g.
                                    >
                                    > default application of (info for (choose file))
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > (I want to figure out how to tell what the default application is...)
                                    >
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.