New (64-bit) version of SheepShaver available

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2011
      Not too new, dating from November.

      Runs 64-bit on Snow Leopard. There are some issues in 64-bit mode in this build, which are resolved by switching to 32-bit.

      On my Macbook Pro with 10.4.11, seems a little smoother and faster.

      64-bit must be ohmygod fast, though. Maybe I should upgrade.

      Further info at http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6703

      File is there or "SheepShaver_UB_20101106.zip" in the Files section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2011
        Very fast, but the mouse is a bit jerky across the screen and you can
        see two if you stray outside the sheepshaver window. However, works fine.
        Geoff

        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21, 2011
          Per the post at emaculation, "Make sure you use the setting "Dynamic" for the refresh rate in Audio/Video tab of SheepShaver preferences for smooth movements of the software cursor inside SheepShaver." It's not clear whether that only counts for 64-bit, though.

          What's more interesting than this particular release and its limitations is that SheepShaver continues to be actively developed. Since WordPerfect was written and optimized for much slower machines than we have today, it's already faster than any other program I use. 64-bit will be fun.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2011
            Thanks, John. By the way, you should use the Preferences from the
            Sheepshaver Menu once launched rather than previous iterations of
            SheepShaverGUI or SheepShaverPrefs.