Re: [wpmac] Zooming Classic Elements Only

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2011
      John -- Great idea to change zoom level of all open documents! I wish I had thought of that when writing John's WP Zoom.

      Daryl -- Nice work! The way to work with all open windows is to repeat through them, e.g.

      Repeat
      Alert (FrontWindow)
      Select Window (NextWindow)
      Assign (Var00;Var00+1)
      Until (Var00=NumberOfWindows)

      John R.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2011
        The example should be

        Repeat
        Alert (FrontWindow)
        Select Window (BackWindow)
        Assign (Var00;Var00+1)
        Until (Var00=NumberOfWindows)

        Sorry for this oversight.

        > John -- Great idea to change zoom level of all open documents! I wish I had thought of that when writing John's WP Zoom.
        >
        > Daryl -- Nice work! The way to work with all open windows is to repeat through them, e.g.
        >
        > Repeat
        > Alert (FrontWindow)
        > Select Window (NextWindow)
        > Assign (Var00;Var00+1)
        > Until (Var00=NumberOfWindows)
        >
        > John R.
        >

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Chinn <darylngee@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What I've found, when increasing magnification, is that the window size also
        > > gets bigger. If you have two screens and they're side by side, then increasing
        > > the magnification of each might result in overlapping windows that are side by
        > > side but overlapping. Even if you Tile the windows under Window, on my 17"
        > > Powerbook, the screens might still overlap, depending on your magnification.
        > >
        > > Here is a macro I created to magnify any single WP document screen. On the
        > > second line, instead of (200), which is 200%, you can use any number you wish
        > > for your desired screen size. I've set my macro to activate at Ctrl-Apple-B,
        > > but you can set any of your own key combinations to activate your macro, which
        > > I've labeled Big Screen. I have not created a reverse macro, and looking at the
        > > macro text, don't know if one could, using "(FrontWindow)", use "(AllWindows)"
        > > to do exactly what you're asking for, since I don't think WP does this. I still
        > > have to enlarge one screen at a time. OSX does allow this universal viewing, in
        > > some instances, for viewing Finder windows, and various browsers.
        > >
        > > Here's the macro text (and steps) for (my) Big Screen macro:
        > >
        > > Layout Bar (Show)
        > > Magnification (200.0)
        > > ZoomOut Window (FrontWindow)
        > >
        > > After you're done these steps, of course, you Stop Recording.
        > >
        > > If you don't want to enlarge the window(s), you can leave out the last
        > > line/step. This way, the windows would still be side by side, but you won't be
        > > able to see the entire text of a document or a full screen.
        > >
        > > Hope this helps.
        > >
        > > Daryl
        > > Arcata, CA
        > > Powerbook G4, OS 10.4.11, running WP on Classic
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2011
          John R wrote:

          >The example should be
          >
          >Repeat
          >Alert (FrontWindow)
          >Select Window (BackWindow)
          >Assign (Var00;Var00+1)
          >Until (Var00=NumberOfWindows)
          >
          >Sorry for this oversight.
          >
          >John R.

          I created the following macro, by combining the above and Darrel
          Chin's instruction sequence.

          ======

          Layout Bar (Show)
          Magnification (200.0)
          ZoomOut Window (FrontWindow)
          Repeat
          Alert (FrontWindow)
          Select Window (BackWindow)
          Assign (Var00;Var00+1)
          Until (Var00=NumberOfWindows)

          ======

          I named the macro Magnify All, and assigned to it the keystroke sequence:

          control alt z.

          I then opened two new WP documents (untitled and untitled 2) and
          issued the command to start the macro by entering that sequence of
          keystrokes.

          Document untitled 2 comes to the fore, magnifies to 200%, and then
          sits front and center with a dialog box that contains: (a) a yellow
          triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of it; (b) the name
          of the document (untitled 2); and (c) an [OK] button that I must
          click in order to do anything else.

          Then document untitled comes to the fore, but does not zoom, and a
          dialog box appears that contains: (a) a yellow triangle with an
          exclamation point in the middle of it; (b) the name of the document
          (untitled); and (c) an [OK] button that I must click in order to do
          anything else.

          --
          John Joseph McVeigh
          Butler, Maryland, USA
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2011
            The dialog box with the current document's name was an illustrative example. Instead of using that macro, please go to Files > Temporary_Items and download John's WP Zoom 1.1 beta 1. Sorry for the confusion.

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

            > I named the macro Magnify All, and assigned to it the keystroke sequence:
            >
            > control alt z.
            >
            > I then opened two new WP documents (untitled and untitled 2) and
            > issued the command to start the macro by entering that sequence of
            > keystrokes.
            >
            > Document untitled 2 comes to the fore, magnifies to 200%, and then
            > sits front and center with a dialog box that contains: (a) a yellow
            > triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of it; (b) the name
            > of the document (untitled 2); and (c) an [OK] button that I must
            > click in order to do anything else.
            >
            > Then document untitled comes to the fore, but does not zoom, and a
            > dialog box appears that contains: (a) a yellow triangle with an
            > exclamation point in the middle of it; (b) the name of the document
            > (untitled); and (c) an [OK] button that I must click in order to do
            > anything else.
            >
            > --
            > John Joseph McVeigh
            > Butler, Maryland, USA

          • J.J. McVeigh
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2011
              John R wrote:

              >The dialog box with the current document's name was an illustrative
              >example. Instead of using that macro, please go to Files >
              >Temporary_Items and download John's WP Zoom 1.1 beta 1. Sorry for
              >the confusion.
              >
              >John R.

              I have downloaded and installed John's WP Zoom 1.1 beta 1. As far as
              the magnification function is concerned, Zoom All works fine.

              The only thing that I do not like about it is that if I have two
              documents open side by side, and then zoom them, the second
              document's position gets shifted on the screen so as to overlay the
              first document. The second document ends up on top of the first, and
              I need to drag it to the side to restore the relative positions.

              Some overlap may be inevitable as a result of the zoom, but in the
              case, the overlap is 100%... more than zooming itself will account
              for.

              Thank you for all of your efforts, and for your consideration.

              --
              John Joseph McVeigh
              Butler, Maryland, USA
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2011
                Update to a popular macro set now in the Files section, in the Temporary_Items folder, as "John's WP Window Manager 2.1b1.sit".

                This has two new macros: Close All, to close all open windows at once, of course offering to save changes to any that have them, and Tile Two Windows, to put the top two windows next to each other at full height.

                This is something like the program command Tile Windows, on the Window menu, but that command tiles all open windows, making each window as small as necessary to fit all onscreen. The Tile Two Windows macro operates only on the top two windows.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                > The only thing that I do not like about it is that if I have two
                > documents open side by side, and then zoom them, the second
                > document's position gets shifted on the screen so as to overlay the
                > first document. The second document ends up on top of the first, and
                > I need to drag it to the side to restore the relative positions.
                >
                > Some overlap may be inevitable as a result of the zoom, but in the
                > case, the overlap is 100%... more than zooming itself will account
                > for.
                >
                > Thank you for all of your efforts, and for your consideration.

                You bet. Thank you for your suggestions.

                John R.
              • J.J. McVeigh
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
                  John R wrote:

                  >Update to a popular macro set now in the Files section, in the
                  >Temporary_Items folder, as "John's WP Window Manager 2.1b1.sit".
                  >
                  >This has two new macros: Close All, to close all open windows at
                  >once, of course offering to save changes to any that have them, and
                  >Tile Two Windows, to put the top two windows next to each other at
                  >full height.
                  >
                  >This is something like the program command Tile Windows, on the
                  >Window menu, but that command tiles all open windows, making each
                  >window as small as necessary to fit all onscreen. The Tile Two
                  >Windows macro operates only on the top two windows.

                  I have downloaded and expanded the file. I then saved Manage Windows
                  to my WP Library folder without any problem. The macros function as
                  described.

                  I am curious as to under what circumstances one would want to run the
                  macro, "Stack Windows (Wide)." When I run that macro, an open WP
                  document window zooms to the full width of the display, but the
                  magnification level of the document remains the same. Most of the
                  zoomed window is a grey no-man's land. I must be missing something,
                  but I do not see the purpose. I could understand zooming the window
                  and increasing the magnification level of the document within the
                  window to suit the zoomed window, but that does not happen with this
                  macro.... at least not at this end, running OS 10.4.11, OS 9.2.2
                  within Classic, and WP 3.5ep on a dual G5.

                  --
                  John Joseph McVeigh
                  Butler, Maryland, USA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                    > I have downloaded and expanded the file. I then saved Manage Windows
                    > to my WP Library folder without any problem. The macros function as
                    > described.

                    Thanks for the report (I greatly appreciate feedback on betas, as well as on released versions).

                    > I am curious as to under what circumstances one would want to run the
                    > macro, "Stack Windows (Wide)." When I run that macro, an open WP
                    > document window zooms to the full width of the display, but the
                    > magnification level of the document remains the same.

                    This would be more useful with landscape orientation, and depending on paper size. It was also written when displays were typically not nearly as large as today.