Rebuilding the classic desktop (was :WP Regular Expression Search 3.0)

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

      > I took your suggestions. I restarted the computer (not
      > merely Classic), then I rebuilt the Classic desktop. All is now well.

      Cool! Here's a more general description of this, for others.

      Any of us on OSX may have forgotten the need to, once a month or so, rebuild the desktop as preventative maintenance. As well, if icons aren't doing what they should, files disappear etc., rebuild the desktop. It only takes a minute.

      To rebuild the desktop using my SheepShaver package:

      Find Desktop Reset in the Utilities folder and double-click it. After a few seconds a dialog will say that desktop files have been moved to the trash, and will offer to restart. Do so. During the restart, new desktop files will be created. After the operation, you can empty the trash.

      To rebuild the Classic desktop:

      Go to System Preferences > Classic > Advanced, and click Rebuild Desktop.

      To rebuild the desktop on a pre-OSX machine:

      Restart, holding down the Command and Option keys, until a dialog offers to rebuild the desktop.