[ANN] An application that converts WP files to RTF, DOC, or PDF (or WPDOS)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2011
      With the help of John Rethorst, and building almost entirely on an AppleScript by Smokey Ardisson, I've put together an application that uses WPMac itself and the DOS-based ConvertPerfect utility to export RTF, DOC, or PDF files from WordPerfect documents. If you have WPMac running in SheepShaver or in Classic, you don't really need this, because you can export documents one by one from WPMac, but this application can help automate the process. Because it uses the DOS-based ConvertPerfect utility if possible, it produces better RTF output than WPMac does, and this may be helpful also.

      Here's the first few paragraphs of the readme file:

      This AppleScript application exports WordPerfect documents to the RTF, DOC, or PDF formats. It also exports WordPerfect for the Macintosh files into WPDOS 5.1 or WPDOS 6.x format for use in WordPerfect for Windows or other Windows word-processors. The application converts documents created by all versions of WordPerfect for DOS, Unix, Windows, or the Macintosh.

      By default, the application exports files in RTF format. RTF files can be read and edited by almost any word-processing software on any platform.

      If you change the name of the application so that it includes the string "DOC"—for example, "WP to DOC Converter"—the application will export files in the DOC format used by Microsoft Word for DOS 6.0. Most but not all word-processors can read and edit files in this format. Some recent versions of Microsoft Word, however, will refuse to open such files (or require you confirm that you wish to open the files) because older versions of the DOC format were sometimes used as carriers of malicious software.

      If you change the name of the applications so that it includes the string "PDF"—for example, "Make PDFs from WP Documents"—the application will export files in PDF format. Such files are readable by PDF-reading software on any platform.

      Here's a link to the full ReadMe file:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WP%20Converter%20ReadMe.rtf

      And here's a link to the application itself (the ZIP includes the ReadMe file and the application):

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WP%20Converter.zip

      Again, this merely adapts and builds on the hard work already done by John Rethorst and Smokey Ardisson. Anyone who looks at the AppleScript will readily see which code is based on theirs (it's efficient and elegant) and which is added by me (overly long, spaghetti-like, etc.).

      I think the application should run under OS X 10.4 or later, Intel or PPC, but I've only tested it on Snow Leopard.