An OS X application that uses WPMac to convert WP files to RTF/DOC/PDF

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
      I've put together an AppleScript application for OS X that uses WPMac to convert WordPerfect files to DOC or RTF or PDF format.

      It works this way. You drop one or more WP files on to the application (or double-click the application itself and select a WP file); the application starts up the SheepShaver emulator software, which runs WPMac 3.5e, which opens the file you selected, and then exports it to DOC or RTF format, or "prints" it to a PostScript file, which OS X then converts into a PDF.

      The resulting file is then copied to the same folder as the file that you converted. The original file is untouched.

      By default, the application creates DOC files in Word 6.0 format, which shouldn't be distributed until you've opened them in a recent version of Word for the Mac and then saved them again, because some recent versions of Word for Windows won't open these files.

      However, if you change the name of the application from "WPMac Converter" to anything that has the letters "RTF" in it (such as "WPMac Convert to RTF") then the application will output RTF files. In the same way, if you change the name to anything with "PDF" in it, the application will produce PDF files.

      The output quality is only as good as WPMac produces by default. I doubt the RTF or DOC files will be perfectly consistent with the originals. The PDF output may or may not match what you expect because this setup may not have the same fonts that you had when you created the file. But they should be reasonably close. I'll post further information on how to customize this system (for example, by adding fonts) if anyone is interested.

      This is a first try. I had some problems with the AppleScript timing out when I first set this up, but I seem to have reduced those problems, and maybe eliminated them.

      The download may be found here:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMac%20Converter.zip

      I hope this may be useful to someone.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2011
        Revised version with many minor improvements now posted. Same link:

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2011
          It turns out that I made some mistakes in the logic of this Applescript, so it sometimes misremembered its options, so I've removed the download until I can fix it - or rather, replace it with a far more flexible converter program.