Re: OS 7 system font

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2010
      I've never quite understood why Chicago isn't available from that menu - or, for that matter, why the Chicago font doesn't seem to work at all in that WPMacPPC setup. You might try creating another disk image from the SheepShaver preferences and then copy the system folder to that new image, and move fonts in and out of it to see whether you can get back Chicago by removing Charcoal (if that's what you want). I'm afraid I can't give you step-by-step advice on this procedure, but you'll find plenty of help and advice in the forums at www.emaculation.com. You may also want to experiment with removing the ~Aaron extensions from the extensions folder.

      I no longer remember how I put that system together - it derives from something I put together four years ago, and the details have long since disappeared from memory.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2010
        WPMacPPC refers to the SheepShaver-based setup described and illustrated here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html#desktop

        The question isn't about fonts used in WP itself.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
          I've uploaded a new version of the WPMacAppliance at the same address as before:

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

          The only change is that this version includes an emergency boot disk that you can boot from, so that you can make changes to the normal system disk.

          To boot from the emergency disk, start up the WPMacPPC appliance as usual. From the SheepShaver menu, choose Preferences, then from the Setup tab, click Add..., and select EmergencyRepair.dsk, and click Open.

          You now have two disks listed in the Volumes menu; select WPMacPPC512.dsk, and click Remove. the EmergencyRepair.dsk is now the first and only disk on the list. Click Add..., and select WPMacPPC512.dsk, and click Open. The WPMacPPC512.dsk is now listed as the second volume on the list, and SheepShaver will boot from the EmergencyRepair.dsk. Click Save. Now shut down SheepShaver entirely - do NOT click Restart from the topline System 7 menu, but shut it down.

          Start the WPMacPPC appliance again. It should boot from the Emergency Repair disk. Make any changes you want to make in the main disk. To boot again from the main disk, use the SheepShaver preferences again and remove EmergencyRepair.dsk from the list of Volumes, click Save, and shut down SheepShaver, and then start it up again.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2010
            There's a large number of third-party utilities for OS 9 that would change the system font to anything you wanted, unlike Apple's very limited Appearance CP. Unfortunately, the best one, Kaleidoscope, has a bug that interacts with WP's contextual spell checker. Look for others at Info-Mac, UMich, System 7 Today, This Old Mac, Low End Mac. Links to all these are in the Links section here.

            John R.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2010
              OK, here's how to restore Chicago as the system font, or, if you want, use one of a number of other fonts instead.

              Follow the instructions in message 6592 to download the newest version of the WPMacPPC Installer, and then follow the instructions to boot SheepShaver from the EmergencyRepair disk.

              After booting to the EmergencyRepair disk, open the WPMacPPC disk; go to the System Folder, and then the Fonts folder. Remove the Charcoal font to someplace else on the disk.

              Follow the instructions again in message 6592 to remove the EmergencyRepair disk from the system. Boot to the normal WPMacPPC disk.

              Go to the Greg's Buttons control panel. Click on Change System Fonts, and remove the checkmark from the box next to Substitute System Font. Close Greg's Buttons.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "queryist2010" <ronfradkin@...> wrote:

              > Is it possible to change the system font in the WPMacPPC appliance (that's with OS 7.5.5)? It is currently set to Charcoal, and the "Appearance" control panel provides Charcoal as the only option in the system font drop-down menu.

            • queryist2010
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
                I did it, and it works. Thanks