Re: WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 1, 2010
      Sorry for this delayed response.

      I’m not sure what an output print file is. Mac WP can certainly write a text file including the name of the current document.

      Printing to the Laserwriter 8 driver that’s set to File produces a PS document.

      An Applescript can read a text file and use its contents as a file name, as long as the name is the only contents of the file or the script is told where in the text to find the name, e.g. characters 20 through 30.

      Adding something to the menu bar is in theory possible, using the Akua Sweets scripting addition. I looked at that once but didn’t have much luck; I suspect the osax had a bug (adding items to the menu bar is easier in OSX).

      > John,
      >
      > I hope you'll take a look at the folder action script that I put together for this WPDOS system to handle printing and PDF creation (based on the one that Apple ships for converting PS to PDF). It has an idea that might be useful for WPMac, though I don't know if it's technically possible.
      >
      > The script works this way.
      >
      > If you run a PDFMAKER macro in WPDOS, and if the current document already has a name, then the macro does two things: it writes a text file to the output folder that contains the name of the document, and then it writes an output printfile named WPDOSPDF.PS to the same folder. (It then restores the name of the default output printfile, so that a PDF doesn't get created the next time you print.) The folder action script reads the text file and uses its contents as the filename for the PDF file that it then creates. If the current document does not have a name, the folder action script creates a PDF file with a default name.
      >
      > If you simply print from WPDOS, the printfile has a generic name, and the folder action script simply prints it.
      >
      > Is this possible in WPMac? Can a macro set the name of the output print file, and can WPMac create and write a text file from the name of the current document? If so, then this should be practical. (Also, is it possible to add the name of a Macro like PDFmaker to the existing top-line menu?)
      >
      > Anyway, this is far beyond my WPMac macro abilities, but it seems to work fairly well by combining WPDOS macros with AppleScript.

    • Joseph Bush
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 16, 2010
        Thanks for clarifying!