WPD to RTF Converter - further revised and expanded

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2010
      I've now tested and posted a new version of the WPD to RTF Converter script, based ultimately on Smokey Ardisson's excellent script that converted WPD files to a format formerly used by OpenOffice.org. The download link is here:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPDtoRTF%20Installer%20Disk%202.0.dmg

      The new version changes the name of the installed program from "WPD to RTF Converter Script" to "WPD to RTF Converter", so you may want to remove the older version (with the name ending in "Script") after testing that this one works correctly. As before, you can use the script by dragging WP documents to it, or by selecting a document from a menu after launching the script itself, or by using Open With... in the contextual menu of a WP file. You can set the script to be the default handler for all WP documents.

      The script will convert all standard WP documents to RTF format, and will even convert WordPerfect for DOS documents that do not have a standard .WPD or .WP filename extension. Be warned that footnotes, headers, etc., will not be converted as footnotes, headers, etc., but will be listed at the end of the converted file. If you want to convert features like these more exactly, open the WP file in OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, NeoOffice, the new LibreOffice, Go-OO, or some other word processor that uses the "libwpd" conversion software; and then save the file in whatever modern format you prefer.

      The installer now installs the following (unless you uncheck them when you perform a Custom Install instead of the default Easy Install):

      Gero Hermann's Spotlight plug-in for WordPerfect files (the correct version is installed for either OS X 10.4 and 10.5 or for OS X 10.6 or later).

      Gero Hermann's QuickLook generator for WordPerfect files (for OS X 10.6 or later).

      An Automator "Service" called "Preview WP File in Browser." To use this, you ctrl-click on a WP document, and choose from the menu (or from the Services submenu) "Preview WP File in Browser." After a few seconds, the contents of the file will appear in your browser window. (The displayed file is a temporary file; if you want to convert the document for use in other word processors, you'll need to use the WPD to RTF Converter itself.) This Automator service was based on an old hint on MacOSXHints.com that used a different technology (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060903121055197). Note that this service will appear in the context menu only for files that OS X recognizes as document files, not in the context menu of WordPerfect for DOS files that have nonstandard filename extensions.)

      The installer took some time to get right, because Apple doesn't provide the best possible documentation for its PackageMaker installer-creator program. But I've tested it extensively on a clean OS X 10.6 system, and I believe it should work on 10.4 and 10.5 as well. It certainly does no harm to your system if you try it. The ReadMe page on the installation setup lists all the files installed by this system so that you can remove them if you want to get rid of them. When I get around to it, I'll provide an uninstaller script for automated removal.