A WP to RTF converter for OS X

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 22, 2010
      A new version has been released of the open-source "libwpd" software that converts WP documents into other formats. This is the software used by OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, and other word-processors when opening WP files. This software makes it easy to convert WP files into HTML formats - and OS X includes a program called "textutil" that converts HTML into RTF format.

      I've put together a package that installs the libwpd software and an AppleScript that converts WordPerfect files to HTML format and then into RTF format. The AppleScript is based on an ingenious script by Smokey Ardisson that used an earlier version of libwpd to convert WP files into a format used by older versions of the OpenOffice.org word processor. I compiled the libwpd software from the source code; I don't claim to know how to do this, but the resulting software seems to work.

      I've tested this on OS X 10.6.5 and 10.6.4. On one 10.6.4 system, the textutil program produced unusable RTF files; but this problem was fixed by an upgrade to 10.6.5.

      Here's the link to the installer:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPDtoRTF-InstallerDisk.dmg

      As far as I know, this is the easiest Mac-based way to convert WordPerfect files into a format usable by Microsoft Word, TextEdit, and Pages.

      Note that the formatting in the converted file is fairly basic, and the original font-formatting will not be preserved.
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2010
        Thanks so much
        Geoff

        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
          Edward

          It doesn't do footnotes. Converting to Word 6 from within WP does a
          better job.

          Excellent for simpler files.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
            (Corrected version of an earlier message, now deleted from the forum:)

            That's because the libwpd software doesn't support a direct WP -> RTF conversion. Libwpd converts from WP to HTML first, and when it creates the HTML file, it puts all the footnotes, etc., in a list at the end of the file, headed FOOTNOTES, which isn't very useful. And it's that file that gets converted by the OS X "textutil" program into RTF, so the footnotes stay in that mostly useless form.

            I'm curious about which software you want to use with the converted files? Is it Microsoft Word? It should be fairly easy to write a Word macro that would restore the footnotes, headers, etc. I may take that on as a project, but only if anyone would find it useful.

            The libwpd software converts into three formats - text, HTML, and "raw". "Raw" is a normally unusable file with codes represented by text in parentheses; it seems to be unusable by human beings, but it's what OpenOffice.org et al. use when converting a file. It contains all the information needed for rebuilding footnotes, formatting, etc. If anyone ever built a "raw" to RTF converter, we
            would have exactly what's needed.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
              Dear Edward

              I am usually working in WPMac for my academic writings. The Word6
              Converter is not too bad for converting those files - some formatting is
              lost during the conversion, such as (i) indenting of paragraphs (the
              first line is tabbed instead) and (ii) the use of [small], [large] etc.
              to set relative font sizes disappears. However, the biggest pain is that
              cross-referencing of footnotes within the WPMac file (eg. supra n7) is
              lost altogether - I have to go back and manually insert the
              cross-referenced note number which is not going to be too bad for the
              7500-word piece currently under way, but is a bit more tiresome in the
              chapter of a book I write where that chapter alone has 584 footnotes.

              Any help gratefully received.

              On 23/11/2010 16:05, em315 wrote:
> [...]
              >>>
              >>> I've tested this on OS X 10.6.5 and 10.6.4. On one 10.6.4 system, the textutil program produced unusable RTF files; but this problem was fixed by an upgrade to 10.6.5.
              >>>
              >>> Here's the link to the installer:
              >>>
              >>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPDtoRTF-InstallerDisk.dmg
              >>>
              >>> As far as I know, this is the easiest Mac-based way to convert WordPerfect files into a format usable by Microsoft Word, TextEdit, and Pages.
              >>>
              >>> Note that the formatting in the converted file is fairly basic, and the original font-formatting will not be preserved.

            • pdxsmj
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
                The converter script works great. One suggestion though. Because it's a script and not an application you cannot set it as the default application to open all .wpd files. You must choose the script every time you open a file. I confirmed this today talking with a senior Apple support tech. He said in order to enable this feature, the script would need to be packaged in the Xcode form, not jus have an .app extension. Would anyone know how to accomplish this or if it's easy. I am not a programmer. Thanks, Jay

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
                  Geoff,

                  Whew! That's a difficult task. Is there any program at all that successfully preserves footnote cross-referencing in a WPMac file? If you need to send out a Word file, I don't see any way to do it except to insert the cross-references by hand, unfortunately. Is there any other way?

                  Edward

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
                    Dear Edward

                    In the early 1990s when I was using WPDos 5.1, a colleague wrote a WP
                    macro that converted the cross-reference into the plain text number
                    (after generation) just before converting to Word. I don't know if that
                    is possible.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
                      Actually, Smokey Ardisson on this forum figured out how to accomplish exactly that, and I borrowed (i.e. stole) his method for my standalone SheepShaver/WPMac system, so it shouldn't be hard to do it for this system if desired. I'll give it some thought.

                      However, there's one limitation: this script can open WordPerfect files created by WordPerfect for DOS even if those files have non-standard filenames (like MYFILE.123). It does this by reading the first four bytes of the file to see if it has the standard "signature" of a WordPerfect document. You won't be able to double-click on such files to open them with this script. You would have to drag them to the icon.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
                        That would need to be done with a WPMac macro. It couldn't be done after the file had been converted to something else. I imagine that some of the macro experts here could help out. (I've never actually used WPMac, only experimented with it, so I can't do any more than speculate about this.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
                          I briefly uploaded a new version that did what you suggest here, but it turned out to have problems, so I restored the older version. I'll try to get the newer one working again in the next few days.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 24, 2010
                            OK, I think I have the installer working at last for a new version that does what you asked for in the message below. The installer also adds Gero Hermann's QuickLook and Spotlight plug-ins for WordPerfect file.

                            The new version has a different name "WPD to RTF Converter" (not "WPD to RTF Converter Script"). You may want to keep the earlier version until you're certain that the new version works correctly. Download link for the new version:

                            http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPDtoRTF%20Installer%20Disk%202.0.dmg