Re: keyboard shortcuts

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2010
      John, I do use mnemonics, though I have probably not been optimally
      systematic in setting up groupings.

      Connectix' Speed Doubler was nice, and its successor, Copy
      Agent/TurboKeys, has the Keyboard Power feature that still works nicely
      in SheepShaver: as in Windows (and this is one thing I appreciate about
      Windows; maybe it started with DOS), it underlines one letter in most
      menu items, and that item can be invoked by pressing control and (in my
      case) shift with the underlined letter. (TirboKeys' Hot Keys, for
      opening applications, do not seem to work in SS.)

      > No actual such challenge. I was just (or am, in Tips & Macros)
      > recommending grouping keystroke assignments by function, as well as
      > using easy-to-remember letters like cmd-P. For instance, I use
      > command-option plus letter for display commands: cmd-opt-w to
      > show/hide white space; cmd-opt-c to show/hide codes; cmd-opt-p to
      > show/hide paragraph marks.

      I never did get the gold-key thing, probably because I came to computing
      fairly late (1997). Seems less feasible on a laptop? I do run out of
      keystrokes.

      > This setup is helped by WP's gold key -- another two modifiers like command or option.

      I don't use all the keystrokes I have programmed, but would not want to
      be without the ones I do use. Thank you, again, for showing us these
      various ways with WP. Tom
    • David Schmalz
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2010
        Tom, I always liked the way Windows programs had one letter
        underlined in the menus, too. [Of course, if you were to try MS Word
        these days, you'd find that the menus have been replaced with the
        "ribbon."]

        In WP for Mac, having the keystroke combination appear next to the
        menu item was almost as good as the underlined letter, but only a few
        menu items had them. I only discovered recently that there is a
        setting in preferences to display extra command keys on the menus so
        that almost all of them are displayed with the keystroke. To have
        them not displayed by default makes me wonder whether the original
        writers of the program were intentionally trying to get people to use
        the mouse so the program would be more "Mac-like."

        Regards,
        David