keyboard shortcuts (was: WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X)

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
      Chad, I couldn't agree more with your comments. I use, and customize,
      keyboard shortcuts a lot, and not only in WP, though WP lends itself to
      this exceptionally well.

      I think John R. mentioned a few years ago that someone challenged his
      ability to recall all of the keyboard commands he had created or
      modified. I forget some of mine, though the ones that I use regularly
      are of course easy to remember. I maintain a ClarisWorks (4.0v6)
      spreadsheet with all my WP keystrokes, the built-in ones as well as my own.

      > There is something geek-chic about those old retro WordPerfect Shortcut
      > template grids that fit over your F-Keys row. Back when keyboard were huge,
      > clunky, and clicky.

      I keep that keyboard template over the function keys on my MacBook Pro
      whenever using WP.

      > The F-keys are
      > rarely used as F-keys anymore. Which is why on many keyboards, including
      > all Macs that I'm aware of, they are half-sized keys and default to things
      > like raise and lower the brightness, fast-forward, play, rewind, etc. - and
      > you actually have to hit the "fn" key to make them behave like F# keys. For
      > some of those old WP commands, you might end up having to hold down 3 or 4
      > keys.

      In System Preferences I keep the box checked that lets me use the F1
      thru F12 keys as standard function keys. This allows all the WP
      function-key mappings to work, and allows function keys to work in other
      apps, including some OSX ones, as well as in WinXP which I run in
      Parallels when I need it (which fortunately is not very often). To use
      the F-keys to change the volume, screen brightness, etc., I press the Fn
      key first. Works.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
        > I think John R. mentioned a few years ago that someone challenged his
        > ability to recall all of the keyboard commands he had created or
        > modified.

        No actual such challenge. I was just (or am, in Tips & Macros) recommending grouping keystroke assignments by function, as well as using easy-to-remember letters like cmd-P. For instance, I use command-option plus letter for display commands: cmd-opt-w to show/hide white space; cmd-opt-c to show/hide codes; cmd-opt-p to show/hide paragraph marks.

        This setup is helped by WP's gold key -- another two modifiers like command or option. I use those for formatting commands: gold-c centers the current line only; gold-gold-c centers every line in the paragraph. Surprising how many keystrokes you remember by grouping plus mnemonics.