Re: [wpmac] Re: WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 3, 2010
      In a message dated 2010.11.03 22:18 -0500, Rick Albright wrote:

      > ... because WP/DOS wasn't WYSIWYG, how many reams of paper were wasted printing out drafts so you could see what it looked like? ...

      None, because the graphical screen is there for print preview, and the
      text screen is very aware of spacing(*) even though it does not display
      the fonts or graphics.

      [(*) One aspect rarely appreciated is that WP/AOS (and later WP/Unix and
      WP/DOS) introduced font definition in WPDL (WordPerfect Printer
      Definition Language) that was actually better than what came later in
      early Mac and Windows, allowing great font matching (in those days fonts
      were expensive and scarce, so that users often lacked matching fonts) as
      well as spacing awareness that was propagated through both graphic and
      text screens. Of course users and font vendors often did a bad job
      applying the WPDL rules, resulting in bad font characterization, but you
      could always make the needed corrections (with the help of a WPDL
      manual, if needed) - a tedious job, but in those pre-GUI days we were
      all less spoiled. ;-) ]

      John K.
    • Joseph Bush
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 16, 2010