Re: [wpmac] Re: WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 3, 2010
      I began with a brief stint with WP 4.2 for DOS before my organization migrated to WP 5.1. (Before that, our secretarial staff had the IBM 5520 with the, I think seven-inch floppies. That was a major leap forward from the Selectrics.) Although I liked WP DOS, I don't wax as nostalgic as many of you do. I found the learning curve for that software steep and intimidating. I remember living with that template over the keyboard to explain all the PF key functions, and asking our secretary (who, unlike the rest of us, had actually been trained) a lot of questions.

      Personally, I'm very skeptical about the assertion that WP DOS users wrote better because Mac users were trying to figure out fonts, etc., because I could argue that DOS users were spending just as much time trying to figure out what PF key to use to do anything. And because it wasn't WYSIWYG, how many reams of paper were wasted printing out drafts so you could see what it looked like?

      Having said that, I can say that the DOS version started me down that WordPerfect road (what a long strange trip that's been!) and in that respect I'll always think about it with some fondness.

      Our secretary did teach me a valuable lesson I'll never forget: Turn on Reveal Codes!

      Rick Albright

      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 16, 2010
        Thanks for clarifying!