Re: [wpmac] Re: WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 3, 2010
      Some of us still print on shift-F7 and search on F2 even though we use
      WPMac ... truly, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
      Geoff

      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

      On 03/11/2010 06:50, John Kaufmann wrote:
      > Amen, John. In that brief memory you have encapsulated why WP 5.1/DOS
      > (or the equivalent AOS or Unix versions) remains a classic after 20
      > years: Opening to a blank screen, completely without distractions, you
      > can focus on the content (as we do in email), without thinking about the
      > formatting - while still being able to format as needed, when needed,
      > without limitation. As David McCullough has put it, "To write is to
      > think; to write clearly is to think clearly." And as was said of WP
      > 5.1/DOS: "On a clear screen you can see forever." An aesthetic writing
      > experience that users at first found either intimidating or liberating,
      > if yours was the latter reaction you probably never lost your love for it.
      >
      > That said, (though I now mostly use OpenOffice for work) you have made
      > WP/Mac my favorite GUI word processor. But thanks for the evocative
      > reminder of why I so much enjoy going back to WP 5.1.
      >
      > John K.
      >

      > In a message dated 2010.11.03 00:53 -0500, jrethorst wrote:
      >

      >> Takes me back . . . I cut my word processing teeth on MacWrite v. 1, and was then quite pleased to discover MS Word 1.0. Footnotes! No clunky ruler in the middle of the page every time you changed formatting. Little did any of us suspect what was headed our way with Word 3.0, which Macworld magazine (remember magazines?) called the buggiest piece of software of all time. Then, to teach a computer skills class, I learned DOS and WP 5.1. My goodness. Professional-caliber word processing with a down-home intuitiveness that inspired comfort and articulation.
      >>
      >> In the 1990s someone at I think the U. of Delaware studied undergraduate writing on word processors, finding that wp/dos users wrote much better than Mac users. Interpretation was that wp/dos users paid attention to what they wrote, while Mac users were too busy deciding which font etc. GUI was more of a new toy then, of course.
      >>
      >> I’m tempted to install Ed’s setup on my Mac just for the nostalgia.
      >>
      >> John R.
      >>

      >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315"<em315@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> A few visitors to this site have asked about ways to edit WordPerfect for DOS files on a Mac. So I've put together a system that uses the DOSBox emulator to run WordPerfect for DOS 5.1 or 6.2. The system prints to the default OS X printer and creates PDF file.
      >>>
      >>> Because this isn't a WordPerfect Mac topic, I've posted fuller details and a download link in the WPDOS forum at WPUniverse.com:

      > .

    • Joseph Bush
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 16, 2010
        Thanks for clarifying!