Re: WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 2, 2010
      Takes me back . . . I cut my word processing teeth on MacWrite v. 1, and was then quite pleased to discover MS Word 1.0. Footnotes! No clunky ruler in the middle of the page every time you changed formatting. Little did any of us suspect what was headed our way with Word 3.0, which Macworld magazine (remember magazines?) called the buggiest piece of software of all time. Then, to teach a computer skills class, I learned DOS and WP 5.1. My goodness. Professional-caliber word processing with a down-home intuitiveness that inspired comfort and articulation.

      In the 1990s someone at I think the U. of Delaware studied undergraduate writing on word processors, finding that wp/dos users wrote much better than Mac users. Interpretation was that wp/dos users paid attention to what they wrote, while Mac users were too busy deciding which font etc. GUI was more of a new toy then, of course.

      I’m tempted to install Ed’s setup on my Mac just for the nostalgia.

      > A few visitors to this site have asked about ways to edit WordPerfect for DOS files on a Mac. So I've put together a system that uses the DOSBox emulator to run WordPerfect for DOS 5.1 or 6.2. The system prints to the default OS X printer and creates PDF file.
      >
      > Because this isn't a WordPerfect Mac topic, I've posted fuller details and a download link in the WPDOS forum at WPUniverse.com:
    • Joseph Bush
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 16, 2010
        Thanks for clarifying!