Re: [wpmac] Re: Mac Newbie needs Word Perfect help

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
      In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:

      >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
      >> the bonds, so to speak?
      >
      > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
      > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
      > files from the Dell?

      Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
      WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
      point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.

      John K.
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
        John K.,

        I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

        "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

        "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

        "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

        Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

        > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
        >
        > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
        > >> the bonds, so to speak?
        > >
        > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
        > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
        > > files from the Dell?
        >
        > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
        > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
        > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
        >
        > John K.

      • Christopher Cooke
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
          I think if Jean was using WordPerfect X5 the old WP for Mac won't
          open her documents. That was my experience

          Sent from my iPhone.

          On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:28 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

          John K.,

          I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

          "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

          "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

          "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

          Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

          > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
          >
          > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
          > >> the bonds, so to speak?
          > >
          > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
          > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
          > > files from the Dell?
          >
          > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
          > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
          > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
          >
          > John K.

        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
            In a message dated 2010.10.22 15:28 -0500, em315 wrote:

            > ... You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:
            > "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"
            > "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

            Ed, in those two examples you have summarized my understanding: that
            WP/Mac will handle WP files from WP5 and lower, but not from WP6 and
            higher. No? There is a file format limit; if not there, where would is it?

            In addition, I'm thinking about what kind of environment Jean has come
            to like. I still like WP 5.1, but understand that's a personal
            idiosyncrasy that others may not share. ;-) The irony is that that is a
            WP version that WP/Mac 3.5e handles with ease, while WP versions 7 and
            later are closer to the experience of WP/Mac but cannot (I think)
            exchange files.

            John K.
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
              WP for the Mac, with John Rethorst's set of conversions filter, opens WP X5 files and files from all previous versions of WP also. Possibly you didn't install the conversion filters.

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                As I wrote in an earlier message, WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                  In a message dated 2010.10.23 00:51 -0500, em315 wrote:

                  > ... WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                  That's terrific; sorry for my ignorance, but that just adds to my
                  admiration for what WP/Mac has become. I will have to fix that on my system.

                  John K.
                • jeanlouise38
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 25, 2010
                    I'm downloading the Go.....00, mentioned by em315 the other day, to see if it will open my other WP documents, which have text boxes & pictures and won't open with NeoOffice. I believe I have WP 12 on my Dell laptop and have written most in that and probably some older versions, too. (I do have OpenOffice on the Dell, and was pleased when I found it opened Power Point presentations, since I don't have Power Point installed.)

                    I can't check the Dell, because I'm up near Chicago taking care of grandchildren this week and didn't haul it along, but I brought my external hard drive backup so I can try opening WP from that.

                    Hope this will work (sorry, I have no idea how to "partition my hard drive" or anything like that!)

                    I'll get back to the Forum in awhile and let you know if I have any more questions. You people are great to be so helpful! Jean