Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [wpmac] Re: Mac Newbie needs Word Perfect help

Expand Messages
  • Joseph Bush
    Not at all. The OP switched from an older Dell PC to a new Mac. She loves WP and prefers it over Word. Yes, she could, with some help, create a virtualized PC
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
      Not at all. The OP switched from an older Dell PC to a new Mac. She
      loves WP and prefers it over Word. Yes, she could, with some help,
      create a virtualized PC on her Mac and presumably use that to run her
      version of WP. She could also do the same thing on a new Windows PC.
      But if sheʻs made the switch already, then why do so unless itʻs for
      the purpose of running Mac software? And if there exists a WP Mac
      version she could use why not break the bonds, so to speak? She is in
      the process of learning a new way to use computers by owning a mac in
      the first place, so learning WP Mac now can simply be a part of that
      process.

      Joe.

      On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:03 AM, Doug Auwarter wrote:

      > Yikes!! I really don't think this is a zero-sum proposition. Is it?!
      > I hardly think the only reason to use a Mac is WP/Mac.
      > Doug
      >
      > On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:32 AM, Joseph Bush wrote:
      >
      > > Otherwise, buy a PC and whatever the newest WP Office is.
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      >



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • jrethorst
      ... I would respectfully accede a remote possibility. WPMac was designed by a team with something approaching genius in interface design. It has the feature
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
        > telling someone who loves the current (or at least a recent)
        > version of WP Office for Windows that the mid-nineties version
        > of WP-Mac running in emulation will make their dreams come
        > true sounds pretty weak to me. Am I crazy for thinking this?

        I would respectfully accede a remote possibility. WPMac was
        designed by a team with something approaching genius in
        interface design. It has the feature set needed for serious
        word processing, less the kitchen sink, and with some third-
        party enhancements has access to relevant substantive
        features of OSX, e.g. print to PDF and the Dictionary. It seems
        not to be substantially deficient to its OSX competition,
        and with a better and more elegant implementation of many
        features. It's unbelievably fast on Intel chips, especially
        compared to the competition. That meets my standards for a
        dream come true.

        John R.
      • em315
        There s a version of OpenOffice that opens WP documents with pictures (NeoOffice won t, as you discovered). It s called Go-OO.org, and you can find the Mac
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
          There's a version of OpenOffice that opens WP documents with pictures (NeoOffice won't, as you discovered). It's called Go-OO.org, and you can find the Mac version here:

          http://go-oo.org/download/

          Find "Mac OS X Intel" on the page, and click on the link in the Mac OS X Intel paragraph that says "Main." That's all you need.



          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38" <louisericson@> wrote:

          > Update on the WP/Mac work. I found a website that suggested downloading NeoOffice to open my WordPerfect and it was an easy download. I think it's related to OpenOffice in some way. Anyhow, it is opening my WP docs as long as they are simple word processor pages. So far I haven't been able to open anything with pictures or other types of formatting such as boxes, etc. but will not stress about those as long as I can save most things.
        • Sigman, Gregory
          ... ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office files from the Dell?
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
            On 10/20/10 3:26 PM, "Joseph Bush" <konajoe@...> wrote:

            >And if there exists a WP Mac
            > version she could use why not break the bonds, so to speak?

            ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform as
            needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office files from
            the Dell?

            Greg
          • John Kaufmann
            ... Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that point, much of
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
              In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:

              >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
              >> the bonds, so to speak?
              >
              > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
              > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
              > files from the Dell?

              Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
              WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
              point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.

              John K.
            • em315
              John K., I m curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions: I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                John K.,

                I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

                "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:
                >
                > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
                >
                > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                > >> the bonds, so to speak?
                > >
                > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                > > files from the Dell?
                >
                > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
                >
                > John K.
                >
              • Christopher Cooke
                I think if Jean was using WordPerfect X5 the old WP for Mac won t open her documents. That was my experience Sent from my iPhone. On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:28 PM,
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                  I think if Jean was using WordPerfect X5 the old WP for Mac won't
                  open her documents. That was my experience

                  Sent from my iPhone.

                  On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:28 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                  John K.,

                  I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

                  "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                  "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                  "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                  Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
                  >
                  > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                  > >> the bonds, so to speak?
                  > >
                  > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                  > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                  > > files from the Dell?
                  >
                  > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                  > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                  > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
                  >
                  > John K.
                  >







                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • John Kaufmann
                  ... Ed, in those two examples you have summarized my understanding: that WP/Mac will handle WP files from WP5 and lower, but not from WP6 and higher. No? There
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                    In a message dated 2010.10.22 15:28 -0500, em315 wrote:

                    > ... You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:
                    > "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"
                    > "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                    Ed, in those two examples you have summarized my understanding: that
                    WP/Mac will handle WP files from WP5 and lower, but not from WP6 and
                    higher. No? There is a file format limit; if not there, where would is it?

                    In addition, I'm thinking about what kind of environment Jean has come
                    to like. I still like WP 5.1, but understand that's a personal
                    idiosyncrasy that others may not share. ;-) The irony is that that is a
                    WP version that WP/Mac 3.5e handles with ease, while WP versions 7 and
                    later are closer to the experience of WP/Mac but cannot (I think)
                    exchange files.

                    John K.
                  • em315
                    WP for the Mac, with John Rethorst s set of conversions filter, opens WP X5 files and files from all previous versions of WP also. Possibly you didn t install
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                      WP for the Mac, with John Rethorst's set of conversions filter, opens WP X5 files and files from all previous versions of WP also. Possibly you didn't install the conversion filters.

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Cooke <chriscooke@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I think if Jean was using WordPerfect X5 the old WP for Mac won't
                      > open her documents. That was my experience
                    • em315
                      As I wrote in an earlier message, WPMac, together with John Rethorst s set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions,
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                        As I wrote in an earlier message, WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).


                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Ed, in those two examples you have summarized my understanding: that
                        > WP/Mac will handle WP files from WP5 and lower, but not from WP6 and
                        > higher. No? There is a file format limit; if not there, where would is it?
                      • John Kaufmann
                        ... That s terrific; sorry for my ignorance, but that just adds to my admiration for what WP/Mac has become. I will have to fix that on my system. John K.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                          In a message dated 2010.10.23 00:51 -0500, em315 wrote:

                          > ... WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                          That's terrific; sorry for my ignorance, but that just adds to my
                          admiration for what WP/Mac has become. I will have to fix that on my system.

                          John K.
                        • jeanlouise38
                          I m downloading the Go.....00, mentioned by em315 the other day, to see if it will open my other WP documents, which have text boxes & pictures and won t open
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 25, 2010
                            I'm downloading the Go.....00, mentioned by em315 the other day, to see if it will open my other WP documents, which have text boxes & pictures and won't open with NeoOffice. I believe I have WP 12 on my Dell laptop and have written most in that and probably some older versions, too. (I do have OpenOffice on the Dell, and was pleased when I found it opened Power Point presentations, since I don't have Power Point installed.)

                            I can't check the Dell, because I'm up near Chicago taking care of grandchildren this week and didn't haul it along, but I brought my external hard drive backup so I can try opening WP from that.

                            Hope this will work (sorry, I have no idea how to "partition my hard drive" or anything like that!)

                            I'll get back to the Forum in awhile and let you know if I have any more questions. You people are great to be so helpful! Jean

                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38" <louisericson@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?
                            >
                            > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15 years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with it so I don't have to start over.
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > Jean
                            >
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.