Re: [wpmac] Re: Mac Newbie needs Word Perfect help

  • Sigman, Gregory
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
      > In a message dated 2010.10.19 21:59 -0500, Rick Albright wrote:
      >
      >> Amen, John! I was actually a bit disconcerted to read, on a WP-Mac list, that
      >> several members (acting in good faith, I have no doubt), seemed to be
      >> suggesting that this new Mac user run Windows on his or her Mac. I think it
      >> was clearly stated that the user has Snow Leopard and a new Mac. Why are we,
      >> of all people, so reluctant to encourage new users to embrace the Mac
      >> experience?

      Pardon me, but is emulating a >1 decade old OS in order to run an app last
      updated in 1996 what we're pushing as the "Mac experience"? Really? I'm all
      for switchers embracing the Mac experience, but telling someone who loves
      the current (or at least a recent) version of WP Office for Windows that the
      mid-nineties version of WP-Mac running in emulation will make their dreams
      come true sounds pretty weak to me. Am I crazy for thinking this?

      >> This is not the first time I've noticed this. I do think it is
      >> perfectly in order to mention that the Mac version of WP is different from
      >> the Windows version, but I don't think we should be trying to steer Mac
      >> newbies to Windows emulation on their Macs.

      As a general principle, I agree. For running Wordperfect Office X5, however,
      it's the only option. And don't forget, the only option for running
      Wordperfect Mac is also emulation (alternatively I've got a Powerbook 3400 I
      might be talked into selling, but I'm not parting with my Duo with dock or
      my SE/30), just emulation of an OS that has very little similarity to the
      current MacOS and no similarity at all to the OS they're switching from.

      It's absolutely fantastic for us Mac geezers who fell in love with WP around
      the time we were debating whether to switch from OS7 to 7.5 (or even from 6
      to 7), but do we really think that's the best solution for Mac newbies?

      I don't wish to raise anyone's hackles here, but I would respectfully
      disagree.

      Greg Sigman
    • jeanlouise38
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38" <louisericson@...> wrote:

        > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?
        >
        > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15 years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with it so I don't have to start over.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jean

        Update on the WP/Mac work. I found a website that suggested downloading NeoOffice to open my WordPerfect and it was an easy download. I think it's related to OpenOffice in some way. Anyhow, it is opening my WP docs as long as they are simple word processor pages. So far I haven't been able to open anything with pictures or other types of formatting such as boxes, etc. but will not stress about those as long as I can save most things.

        I can also write in it, of course, and it has my beloved ruler on the left hand side as well as across the top, just like WP. I'm sure it will be great if I choose to use it to write in. Not sure yet. (I intend to use most of the Mac OS and not get involved in putting Windows on this machine. I think that's why I got it instead of another pc?) I love all the keyboard shortcuts that I'm learning to save trackpad time! And iPhoto is awesome. So is this keyboard. And on and on.........

        So, yes, I'm a senior and just turned 72 this month. Never thought I'd ever have a computer, much less the 3 we now have! What a super hobby for a retiree........just fun.

        Thanks so much to all of you for your time and expertise and for knowing there was a way to save my documents when all the Apple "experts" I asked didn't have a clue! J
      • Joseph Bush
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
          Not at all. The OP switched from an older Dell PC to a new Mac. She
          loves WP and prefers it over Word. Yes, she could, with some help,
          create a virtualized PC on her Mac and presumably use that to run her
          version of WP. She could also do the same thing on a new Windows PC.
          But if sheʻs made the switch already, then why do so unless itʻs for
          the purpose of running Mac software? And if there exists a WP Mac
          version she could use why not break the bonds, so to speak? She is in
          the process of learning a new way to use computers by owning a mac in
          the first place, so learning WP Mac now can simply be a part of that
          process.

          Joe.

          On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:03 AM, Doug Auwarter wrote:

          > Yikes!! I really don't think this is a zero-sum proposition. Is it?!
          > I hardly think the only reason to use a Mac is WP/Mac.
          > Doug
          >
          > On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:32 AM, Joseph Bush wrote:
          >
          > > Otherwise, buy a PC and whatever the newest WP Office is.

        • jrethorst
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
            > telling someone who loves the current (or at least a recent)
            > version of WP Office for Windows that the mid-nineties version
            > of WP-Mac running in emulation will make their dreams come
            > true sounds pretty weak to me. Am I crazy for thinking this?

            I would respectfully accede a remote possibility. WPMac was
            designed by a team with something approaching genius in
            interface design. It has the feature set needed for serious
            word processing, less the kitchen sink, and with some third-
            party enhancements has access to relevant substantive
            features of OSX, e.g. print to PDF and the Dictionary. It seems
            not to be substantially deficient to its OSX competition,
            and with a better and more elegant implementation of many
            features. It's unbelievably fast on Intel chips, especially
            compared to the competition. That meets my standards for a
            dream come true.

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
              There's a version of OpenOffice that opens WP documents with pictures (NeoOffice won't, as you discovered). It's called Go-OO.org, and you can find the Mac version here:

              http://go-oo.org/download/

              Find "Mac OS X Intel" on the page, and click on the link in the Mac OS X Intel paragraph that says "Main." That's all you need.

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
                On 10/20/10 3:26 PM, "Joseph Bush" <konajoe@...> wrote:

                >And if there exists a WP Mac
                > version she could use why not break the bonds, so to speak?

                ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform as
                needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office files from
                the Dell?

                Greg
              • John Kaufmann
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
                  In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:

                  >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                  >> the bonds, so to speak?
                  >
                  > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                  > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                  > files from the Dell?

                  Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                  WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                  point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.

                  John K.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                    John K.,

                    I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

                    "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                    "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                    "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                    Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                    > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
                    >
                    > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                    > >> the bonds, so to speak?
                    > >
                    > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                    > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                    > > files from the Dell?
                    >
                    > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                    > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                    > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
                    >
                    > John K.

                  • Christopher Cooke
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                      I think if Jean was using WordPerfect X5 the old WP for Mac won't
                      open her documents. That was my experience

                      Sent from my iPhone.

                      On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:28 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                      John K.,

                      I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

                      "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                      "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                      "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                      Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                      > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
                      >
                      > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                      > >> the bonds, so to speak?
                      > >
                      > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                      > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                      > > files from the Dell?
                      >
                      > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                      > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                      > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
                      >
                      > John K.

                    • John Kaufmann
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                        In a message dated 2010.10.22 15:28 -0500, em315 wrote:

                        > ... You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:
                        > "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"
                        > "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                        Ed, in those two examples you have summarized my understanding: that
                        WP/Mac will handle WP files from WP5 and lower, but not from WP6 and
                        higher. No? There is a file format limit; if not there, where would is it?

                        In addition, I'm thinking about what kind of environment Jean has come
                        to like. I still like WP 5.1, but understand that's a personal
                        idiosyncrasy that others may not share. ;-) The irony is that that is a
                        WP version that WP/Mac 3.5e handles with ease, while WP versions 7 and
                        later are closer to the experience of WP/Mac but cannot (I think)
                        exchange files.

                        John K.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                          WP for the Mac, with John Rethorst's set of conversions filter, opens WP X5 files and files from all previous versions of WP also. Possibly you didn't install the conversion filters.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                            As I wrote in an earlier message, WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                              In a message dated 2010.10.23 00:51 -0500, em315 wrote:

                              > ... WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                              That's terrific; sorry for my ignorance, but that just adds to my
                              admiration for what WP/Mac has become. I will have to fix that on my system.

                              John K.
                            • jeanlouise38
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 25, 2010
                                I'm downloading the Go.....00, mentioned by em315 the other day, to see if it will open my other WP documents, which have text boxes & pictures and won't open with NeoOffice. I believe I have WP 12 on my Dell laptop and have written most in that and probably some older versions, too. (I do have OpenOffice on the Dell, and was pleased when I found it opened Power Point presentations, since I don't have Power Point installed.)

                                I can't check the Dell, because I'm up near Chicago taking care of grandchildren this week and didn't haul it along, but I brought my external hard drive backup so I can try opening WP from that.

                                Hope this will work (sorry, I have no idea how to "partition my hard drive" or anything like that!)

                                I'll get back to the Forum in awhile and let you know if I have any more questions. You people are great to be so helpful! Jean