Mac Newbie needs Word Perfect help

  • jeanlouise38
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
      I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?

      I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15 years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with it so I don't have to start over.

      Thanks.

      Jean
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
        The easiest way is to download and install the OpenOffice.org application suite from http://openoffice.org It can open WordPerfect documents and also save them in a standard format like the Microsoft Word format. SheepShaver et al are for people who want to use the Macintosh version of WordPerfect, which is very different from the PC version that you used to use.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38" <louisericson@...> wrote:

        > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?
        >
        > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15 years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with it so I don't have to start over.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jean

      • David Schmalz
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
          If you want to have the exact same version of WordPerfect you are
          accustomed to on your Mac, you may want to consider a program like
          Parallels Desktop or one of the other programs that let you run
          Windows programs alongside your Mac software. With Parallels, you can
          install WordPerfect for Windows on your Mac, as well as any other
          Windows programs that don't have Mac versions, and start them from
          the Dock just as you would any Mac program. You do need a copy of
          Windows, too, to do this. I installed Windows 7 and WordPerfect
          Office X4 and I've been quite happy with the setup.

          Sheepshaver does sort of the same thing, except instead of running
          Windows in the background, it runs an older version of the Mac OS. So
          with Sheepshaver you would be able to run WordPerfect for Mac, which,
          as stated below, has some differences from WordPerfect for Windows.

          Best of luck,
          David

          On Oct 19, 2010, at 8:58 AM, em315 wrote:

          > The easiest way is to download and install the OpenOffice.org
          > application suite from http://openoffice.org It can open
          > WordPerfect documents and also save them in a standard format like
          > the Microsoft Word format. SheepShaver et al are for people who
          > want to use the Macintosh version of WordPerfect, which is very
          > different from the PC version that you used to use.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38"
          > <louisericson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up
          > Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and
          > am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I
          > don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents
          > transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still
          > use them?
          > >
          > > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15
          > years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with
          > it so I don't have to start over.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Jean

        • Luiz E. Pellanda
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
            Senior people, please confirm this:

            If preferring so, Jean may use a Windows partition on the Mac with
            "WordPerfect from my old Dell". Correct?

            Salute!

            On 19/10/2010, at 11:58, em315 wrote:

            > The easiest way is to download and install the OpenOffice.org
            > application suite from http://openoffice.org It can open
            > WordPerfect documents and also save them in a standard format like
            > the Microsoft Word format. SheepShaver et al are for people who want
            > to use the Macintosh version of WordPerfect, which is very different
            > from the PC version that you used to use.
            >
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38"
            > <louisericson@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up
            > Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and
            > am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I
            > don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents
            > transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still
            > use them?
            > >
            > > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15
            > years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with
            > it so I don't have to start over.
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > Jean

          • John Kaufmann
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
              In a message dated 2010.10.19 06:42 -0500, jeanlouise38 wrote:

              > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?

              Jean, could we begin with what you are transferring /from/? - What
              vintage machine, what OS, what WP version? In what WP format(s) are your
              files?

              John K
            • John Kaufmann
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
                As a heavy user of both OpenOffice and WordPerfect, I would never
                discourage a WP fan from switching to WP/Mac. Even though the Mac
                version is different from WP on other platforms, it is still
                recognizably WordPerfect, working much more like WP on other platforms
                than like the alternatives from any other source. OpenOffice has other
                major components besides Writer, but is still very much a work in
                progress. Despite OO's huge potential, WP/Mac remains a more polished
                and predictable word processor - as well as, of course, an easier
                transition for a WP user.

                But isn't WP/Mac an unsupported dead end? It may be no longer in active
                development, but it's hardly unsupported (thanks mostly to John R). One
                point of reference: Fifteen years ago - a long time, as such things go -
                I was criticized for putting "obsolete" WP/Mac on a school's computers.
                Then WP/Mac outlived the computers. I would do the same today.

                In a message dated 2010.10.19 09:58 -0500, em315 wrote:

                > The easiest way is to download and install the OpenOffice.org application suite from http://openoffice.org It can open WordPerfect documents and also save them in a standard format like the Microsoft Word format. SheepShaver et al are for people who want to use the Macintosh version of WordPerfect, which is very different from the PC version that you used to use.
                >
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38"<louisericson@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?
                >>
                >> I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15 years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with it so I don't have to start over.
                >>
                >> Thanks.
                >>
                >> Jean
              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
                  Amen, John! I was actually a bit disconcerted to read, on a WP-Mac list, that several members (acting in good faith, I have no doubt), seemed to be suggesting that this new Mac user run Windows on his or her Mac. I think it was clearly stated that the user has Snow Leopard and a new Mac. Why are we, of all people, so reluctant to encourage new users to embrace the Mac experience? This is not the first time I've noticed this. I do think it is perfectly in order to mention that the Mac version of WP is different from the Windows version, but I don't think we should be trying to steer Mac newbies to Windows emulation on their Macs.

                  Rick Albright
                  On Oct 19, 2010, at 3:18 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:

                  > As a heavy user of both OpenOffice and WordPerfect, I would never
                  > discourage a WP fan from switching to WP/Mac. Even though the Mac
                  > version is different from WP on other platforms, it is still
                  > recognizably WordPerfect, working much more like WP on other platforms
                  > than like the alternatives from any other source. OpenOffice has other
                  > major components besides Writer, but is still very much a work in
                  > progress. Despite OO's huge potential, WP/Mac remains a more polished
                  > and predictable word processor - as well as, of course, an easier
                  > transition for a WP user.

                  Rick Albright
                  logres@...

                  http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
                • Chris Cooke
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
                    Yes she can simply install windows on a boot camp partition and then install a windows version of word perfect on the partition

                    On Oct 19, 2010, at 10:14 AM, "Luiz E. Pellanda" <lpellanda@...> wrote:

                    Senior people, please confirm this:

                    If preferring so, Jean may use a Windows partition on the Mac with
                    "WordPerfect from my old Dell". Correct?

                    Salute!

                    On 19/10/2010, at 11:58, em315 wrote:

                    > The easiest way is to download and install the OpenOffice.org
                    > application suite from http://openoffice.org It can open
                    > WordPerfect documents and also save them in a standard format like
                    > the Microsoft Word format. SheepShaver et al are for people who want
                    > to use the Macintosh version of WordPerfect, which is very different
                    > from the PC version that you used to use.
                    >
                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38"
                    > <louisericson@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up
                    > Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and
                    > am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I
                    > don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents
                    > transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still
                    > use them?
                    > >
                    > > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15
                    > years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with
                    > it so I don't have to start over.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > Jean

                  • Joseph Bush
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
                      I agree. Better to use the best version of WP ever made and that is
                      the Mac version!

                      Otherwise, buy a PC and whatever the newest WP Office is.

                      Joe Bush
                    • John Kaufmann
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
                        In a message dated 2010.10.19 13:14 -0500, Luiz E. Pellanda wrote:

                        > If preferring so, Jean may use a Windows partition on the Mac with
                        > "WordPerfect from my old Dell". Correct?

                        Yes. I do so with VirtualBox. I'm not sure that's easier than
                        Sheepshaver, but Jean might well find the total transition (with her
                        current WP) easier. IAC, if not using WP/Mac, she would probably do
                        better in the emaculation forum.

                        John K
                      • John Kaufmann
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 19, 2010
                          I know what you mean, Rick. Though I began with WP on other platforms, I
                          have so much admiration for what WP/Mac has become that I'm always a bit
                          pained to see alternative suggestions here. Though I now use OO
                          Writer/Calc/Base/.. more often, it's still always a pleasure to use WP
                          on any platform - especially (ironically?) the older versions (WP/Mac
                          3.5e or WP/DOS or WP/Unix 5.1). But I don't really regret seeing people
                          run WP/Win (or WP/DOS) on their Macs; I think that's just a matter of
                          personal comfort, and I'm happy to help with whatever suits the user
                          best. Where I was differing with Ed was mostly the suggestion that OO
                          Writer is a good transition for Jean, who is already having issues with
                          SS. OO Writer has something of a learning curve and is simply not as
                          polished as WP/Mac.

                          John K

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
                            Yikes!! I really don't think this is a zero-sum proposition. Is it?!
                            I hardly think the only reason to use a Mac is WP/Mac.
                            Doug

                            On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:32 AM, Joseph Bush wrote:

                            > Otherwise, buy a PC and whatever the newest WP Office is.

                          • Sigman, Gregory
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
                              > In a message dated 2010.10.19 21:59 -0500, Rick Albright wrote:
                              >
                              >> Amen, John! I was actually a bit disconcerted to read, on a WP-Mac list, that
                              >> several members (acting in good faith, I have no doubt), seemed to be
                              >> suggesting that this new Mac user run Windows on his or her Mac. I think it
                              >> was clearly stated that the user has Snow Leopard and a new Mac. Why are we,
                              >> of all people, so reluctant to encourage new users to embrace the Mac
                              >> experience?

                              Pardon me, but is emulating a >1 decade old OS in order to run an app last
                              updated in 1996 what we're pushing as the "Mac experience"? Really? I'm all
                              for switchers embracing the Mac experience, but telling someone who loves
                              the current (or at least a recent) version of WP Office for Windows that the
                              mid-nineties version of WP-Mac running in emulation will make their dreams
                              come true sounds pretty weak to me. Am I crazy for thinking this?

                              >> This is not the first time I've noticed this. I do think it is
                              >> perfectly in order to mention that the Mac version of WP is different from
                              >> the Windows version, but I don't think we should be trying to steer Mac
                              >> newbies to Windows emulation on their Macs.

                              As a general principle, I agree. For running Wordperfect Office X5, however,
                              it's the only option. And don't forget, the only option for running
                              Wordperfect Mac is also emulation (alternatively I've got a Powerbook 3400 I
                              might be talked into selling, but I'm not parting with my Duo with dock or
                              my SE/30), just emulation of an OS that has very little similarity to the
                              current MacOS and no similarity at all to the OS they're switching from.

                              It's absolutely fantastic for us Mac geezers who fell in love with WP around
                              the time we were debating whether to switch from OS7 to 7.5 (or even from 6
                              to 7), but do we really think that's the best solution for Mac newbies?

                              I don't wish to raise anyone's hackles here, but I would respectfully
                              disagree.

                              Greg Sigman
                            • jeanlouise38
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeanlouise38" <louisericson@...> wrote:

                                > I read through a page or so about installing and setting up Sheepsaver to read my WordPerfect documents from my old Dell pc and am totally confused. It's way over my head with technicalities I don't understand. Is there a easy way to get these WP documents transferred over to my new MacPro OS (Snow Leopard) so I can still use them?
                                >
                                > I loved WordPerfect - it's way better than Word! Used it for 15 years and will miss it. I just want to keep all the work I did with it so I don't have to start over.
                                >
                                > Thanks.
                                >
                                > Jean

                                Update on the WP/Mac work. I found a website that suggested downloading NeoOffice to open my WordPerfect and it was an easy download. I think it's related to OpenOffice in some way. Anyhow, it is opening my WP docs as long as they are simple word processor pages. So far I haven't been able to open anything with pictures or other types of formatting such as boxes, etc. but will not stress about those as long as I can save most things.

                                I can also write in it, of course, and it has my beloved ruler on the left hand side as well as across the top, just like WP. I'm sure it will be great if I choose to use it to write in. Not sure yet. (I intend to use most of the Mac OS and not get involved in putting Windows on this machine. I think that's why I got it instead of another pc?) I love all the keyboard shortcuts that I'm learning to save trackpad time! And iPhoto is awesome. So is this keyboard. And on and on.........

                                So, yes, I'm a senior and just turned 72 this month. Never thought I'd ever have a computer, much less the 3 we now have! What a super hobby for a retiree........just fun.

                                Thanks so much to all of you for your time and expertise and for knowing there was a way to save my documents when all the Apple "experts" I asked didn't have a clue! J
                              • Joseph Bush
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
                                  Not at all. The OP switched from an older Dell PC to a new Mac. She
                                  loves WP and prefers it over Word. Yes, she could, with some help,
                                  create a virtualized PC on her Mac and presumably use that to run her
                                  version of WP. She could also do the same thing on a new Windows PC.
                                  But if sheʻs made the switch already, then why do so unless itʻs for
                                  the purpose of running Mac software? And if there exists a WP Mac
                                  version she could use why not break the bonds, so to speak? She is in
                                  the process of learning a new way to use computers by owning a mac in
                                  the first place, so learning WP Mac now can simply be a part of that
                                  process.

                                  Joe.

                                  On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:03 AM, Doug Auwarter wrote:

                                  > Yikes!! I really don't think this is a zero-sum proposition. Is it?!
                                  > I hardly think the only reason to use a Mac is WP/Mac.
                                  > Doug
                                  >
                                  > On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:32 AM, Joseph Bush wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Otherwise, buy a PC and whatever the newest WP Office is.

                                • jrethorst
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
                                    > telling someone who loves the current (or at least a recent)
                                    > version of WP Office for Windows that the mid-nineties version
                                    > of WP-Mac running in emulation will make their dreams come
                                    > true sounds pretty weak to me. Am I crazy for thinking this?

                                    I would respectfully accede a remote possibility. WPMac was
                                    designed by a team with something approaching genius in
                                    interface design. It has the feature set needed for serious
                                    word processing, less the kitchen sink, and with some third-
                                    party enhancements has access to relevant substantive
                                    features of OSX, e.g. print to PDF and the Dictionary. It seems
                                    not to be substantially deficient to its OSX competition,
                                    and with a better and more elegant implementation of many
                                    features. It's unbelievably fast on Intel chips, especially
                                    compared to the competition. That meets my standards for a
                                    dream come true.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 20, 2010
                                      There's a version of OpenOffice that opens WP documents with pictures (NeoOffice won't, as you discovered). It's called Go-OO.org, and you can find the Mac version here:

                                      http://go-oo.org/download/

                                      Find "Mac OS X Intel" on the page, and click on the link in the Mac OS X Intel paragraph that says "Main." That's all you need.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
                                        On 10/20/10 3:26 PM, "Joseph Bush" <konajoe@...> wrote:

                                        >And if there exists a WP Mac
                                        > version she could use why not break the bonds, so to speak?

                                        ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform as
                                        needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office files from
                                        the Dell?

                                        Greg
                                      • John Kaufmann
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 21, 2010
                                          In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:

                                          >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                                          >> the bonds, so to speak?
                                          >
                                          > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                                          > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                                          > files from the Dell?

                                          Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                                          WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                                          point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.

                                          John K.
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                                            John K.,

                                            I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

                                            "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                            "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                            "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                            Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

                                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                                            > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
                                            >
                                            > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                                            > >> the bonds, so to speak?
                                            > >
                                            > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                                            > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                                            > > files from the Dell?
                                            >
                                            > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                                            > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                                            > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
                                            >
                                            > John K.

                                          • Christopher Cooke
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                                              I think if Jean was using WordPerfect X5 the old WP for Mac won't
                                              open her documents. That was my experience

                                              Sent from my iPhone.

                                              On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:28 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                                              John K.,

                                              I'm curious. You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:

                                              "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                              "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                              "I used WordPerfect for Windows (fill in the version number) on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                              Are there different answers? What did you have in mind? It would be useful information for visitors, I think.

                                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                                              > In a message dated 2010.10.21 13:34 -0500, Sigman, Gregory wrote:
                                              >
                                              > >> And if there exists a WP Mac version she could use why not break
                                              > >> the bonds, so to speak?
                                              > >
                                              > > ...because there does not exist a WP Mac version that will perform
                                              > > as needed; that is, allow easy opening and editing of the WP Office
                                              > > files from the Dell?
                                              >
                                              > Greg, that is not established until Jean replies about her Dell and the
                                              > WP version on it. Until Jean replies to the questions posed on that
                                              > point, much of this thread is undirected speculation.
                                              >
                                              > John K.

                                            • John Kaufmann
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                                                In a message dated 2010.10.22 15:28 -0500, em315 wrote:

                                                > ... You *seem* to be saying that there are different answers to two or more of these questions:
                                                > "I used WPDOS 5.1 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"
                                                > "I used WPDOS 6.2 on my old PC and have lots of WP documents; what should I use on my new Mac?"

                                                Ed, in those two examples you have summarized my understanding: that
                                                WP/Mac will handle WP files from WP5 and lower, but not from WP6 and
                                                higher. No? There is a file format limit; if not there, where would is it?

                                                In addition, I'm thinking about what kind of environment Jean has come
                                                to like. I still like WP 5.1, but understand that's a personal
                                                idiosyncrasy that others may not share. ;-) The irony is that that is a
                                                WP version that WP/Mac 3.5e handles with ease, while WP versions 7 and
                                                later are closer to the experience of WP/Mac but cannot (I think)
                                                exchange files.

                                                John K.
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                                                  WP for the Mac, with John Rethorst's set of conversions filter, opens WP X5 files and files from all previous versions of WP also. Possibly you didn't install the conversion filters.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                                                    As I wrote in an earlier message, WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 22, 2010
                                                      In a message dated 2010.10.23 00:51 -0500, em315 wrote:

                                                      > ... WPMac, together with John Rethorst's set of conversion filters, opens documents created by all WordPerfect versions, including all versions for DOS and for Windows, which means that it can open files created by WPDOS 5.1 and 6.x, and by WPWin 5 through X5. There is no WP file that WPMac 3.5e can't open (except for files created by WPMac 1.0).

                                                      That's terrific; sorry for my ignorance, but that just adds to my
                                                      admiration for what WP/Mac has become. I will have to fix that on my system.

                                                      John K.
                                                    • jeanlouise38
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 25, 2010
                                                        I'm downloading the Go.....00, mentioned by em315 the other day, to see if it will open my other WP documents, which have text boxes & pictures and won't open with NeoOffice. I believe I have WP 12 on my Dell laptop and have written most in that and probably some older versions, too. (I do have OpenOffice on the Dell, and was pleased when I found it opened Power Point presentations, since I don't have Power Point installed.)

                                                        I can't check the Dell, because I'm up near Chicago taking care of grandchildren this week and didn't haul it along, but I brought my external hard drive backup so I can try opening WP from that.

                                                        Hope this will work (sorry, I have no idea how to "partition my hard drive" or anything like that!)

                                                        I'll get back to the Forum in awhile and let you know if I have any more questions. You people are great to be so helpful! Jean