Re: SheepShaver constantly crashing

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
      Perhaps try reinstalling it from the DMG file? You might want to download it again.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Richardson George <gbr@...> wrote:

      > I've been using SheepShaver for some years now and on this particular MacBook Pro since I got it new in January. Mostly, I've had no problems.
    • Joseph Bush
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
        George,

        One thing you might do is try to recall what software on your MacBook
        Pro has been updated, in particular on or around the day you first
        noticed the problem(s). This link Apple Support Downloads Will list
        the most recent updates. Maybe one of them has caused this.

        Joe

        On Oct 8, 2010, at 6:16 AM, Richardson George wrote:

        > I've been using SheepShaver for some years now and on this
        > particular MacBook Pro since I got it new in January. Mostly, I've
        > had no problems.
        >
        > In the last month or so, it has been crashing on opening. Often, it
        > crashes before getting to the blue start up screen, sometimes it
        > crashes within a minute of getting to the desk top.
        >
        > Other times it crashes when I print to the Adobe PS printer. When
        > it crashes when something is sent to the Adobe PS printer, it
        > actually just freezes and I have to do a force quit of SheepShaver.
        >
        > Console has several lengthy "User Diagnostic Reports", but they
        > mean nothing to me. Also, there is the "Console Messagees" report.
        > The most recent Console message is as follows:
        >
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] SheepShaver V2.3 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] Reading ROM file...
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] Using SDL/coreaudio audio output
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] WARNING: Cannot open /dev/sheep_net (No such file or
        > directory). Ethernet will not be available.
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] Detected CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] PowerPC CPU emulator by Gwenole Beauchesne
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
        > 10/8/10 8:49:28 AM [0x0-0x4e04e].org.wpdos.wpmacppc.sheepshaver
        > [661] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
        > 10/8/10 8:51:20 AM SheepShaver[789] Warning once: This application,
        > or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been
        > deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
        > 10/8/10 8:52:54 AM [0x0-0x57057].com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs
        > [766] WARNING: Unknown preferences keyword 'ignoreillegal'
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions for a cure?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > George Richardson

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2010
          That should fix it. Note that the available installers may replace the SheepShaver virtual disk as well as the SS program, so you would first want to copy any files from that disk to your Unix disk, i.e. to your Home/Documents folder in OSX (or whatever folder you designated as the Unix disk).

          I keep my WP files on the Unix disk anyway: Spotlight can index them etc. As Ed Mendelson points out in his very helpful pages at wpdos.org, not all OS9 programs play nice with SS's Unix disk configuration, SimpleText for example, but WP works fine.