Re: Problems Downloading Conversions Files

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
      Try it again. Sometimes Yahoo Groups misbehaves.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

      > gareaud@... wrote:
      >
      > >[....] If you don't see Word 6 as an option in the Save As dialog,
      > >download Conversions 2.1.2 from the Conversions folder in the Files
      > >section here. [....]
      >
      > I just tried downloading from the Files page: Conversions 2.1.2 .sit;
      > Batch_Set_WP_PC_Type-Creator.sit; Conversion Guide.pdf.sit; and
      > Import Filters, and in each case, the Downloads window of Safari
      > v4.1.2 tells me that the file doesn't exist.
      >
      > --
      > John Joseph McVeigh
      > Butler, Maryland USA

    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
        I just downloaded these without trouble. Aside from Import Filters, everything unstuffed fine. Import Filters appears as a generic document, and I think it's corrupted. But the filters themselves are all contained in Conversions 2.1.2.

        > Try it again. Sometimes Yahoo Groups misbehaves.
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@> wrote:
        > >
        > > gareaud@ wrote:
        > >
        > > >[....] If you don't see Word 6 as an option in the Save As dialog,
        > > >download Conversions 2.1.2 from the Conversions folder in the Files
        > > >section here. [....]
        > >
        > > I just tried downloading from the Files page: Conversions 2.1.2 .sit;
        > > Batch_Set_WP_PC_Type-Creator.sit; Conversion Guide.pdf.sit; and
        > > Import Filters, and in each case, the Downloads window of Safari
        > > v4.1.2 tells me that the file doesn't exist.
        > >
        > > --
        > > John Joseph McVeigh
        > > Butler, Maryland USA

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
          The instructions below err in one detail. Conversions 2.1.2 unstuffs to a folder with other folders within it. One of these is named, exactly, "Conversions". It does not need to be, and shouldn't be, renamed.

          Other items in the download include the Pagemaker/Quark/Word filters.

          John R.

          > Save your WP document in Word 6 format. It will then open in Word 95/2003 and Word 2007 in Windows, and in Word 2008 on the Mac.
          >
          > If you don't see Word 6 as an option in the Save As dialog, download Conversions 2.1.2 from the Conversions folder in the Files section here. Quit WP and put this folder in the same folder as the WP application, unless you've designated another folder as the WordPerfect [application] Folder in Prefs. Rename the folder "Conversions", replacing any folder of the same name. Restart WP and you should see the Word 6 option in the Save As dialog box.
          >
          > To convert from Word to WP Mac, save the Word document as RTF, which WP will then open.
          >
          > BTW I'd like to write a Word > WP conversion, which should be easy now that Word uses XML for its format. But I looked at a Word 2008 (Mac) document in a text editor, and saw nothing that looked like XML. A shame, since this conversion would be very helpful. Did I miss something?
          >
          > John R.

        • jrethorst
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20, 2010
            Aha! Thank you.

            > Word 2007+ files are ZIP files that contain XML in compressed form. Rename the file with a ZIP extension, and unzip the contents to see the XML. You'll need to output the XML content and compress the content into a ZIP format to create a Word 2007 file.
          • J.J. McVeigh
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 21, 2010
              em315 wrote:

              > > >[....] If you don't see Word 6 as an option in the Save As dialog,
              >> >download Conversions 2.1.2 from the Conversions folder in the Files
              >> >section here. [....]
              >>
              >> I just tried downloading from the Files page: Conversions 2.1.2 .sit;
              >> Batch_Set_WP_PC_Type-Creator.sit; Conversion Guide.pdf.sit; and
              >> Import Filters, and in each case, the Downloads window of Safari
              > > v4.1.2 tells me that the file doesn't exist.
              >
              >Try it again. Sometimes Yahoo Groups misbehaves.

              That seems to have been the case. I just tried downloading again,
              and encountered no difficulty. Thanks to all who keep this list and
              WP going.
              --

              John