Re: [wpmac] Re: WordPerfect/Mac Resurrected As Open Source?

  • Paul Konnersman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
      I too think that it's a wonderful idea. I'd be happy to have an OSX native
      word processor with my two favorite WP features � Show Codes and
      Caps/InitialCaps/Lowercase. It might well be called Perfect Word.

      Paul

      On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:14 PM, jrethorst <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I think it's a tremendous idea.
      >
      > I worry, though, about the "full-featured" part. Other word processors have
      > the feature list of WP but none, as far as I can see, has the depth of
      > implementation that WP has.
      >
      > Hyphenation is an example. WP hyphenates using its dictionary. Other
      > programs, including MS Word (I don't know about the last couple of versions,
      > though), hyphenate with algorithms. This can produce some fu-nny line
      > breaks.
      >
      > For its OSX version, Nisus apparently borrowed some interface ideas from
      > WP. There's a lot to borrow -- the folks in Orem UT seemed to have a gift
      > for interface design.
      >
      > Open source can do wonderful things. The best astronomy program by far,
      > Celestia, is open source. Why not a word processor?
      >
      > John R.
      >

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com <wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This just a brainstorming idea, so don't get too worked up over it...
      > >
      > > Has anyone considered starting an open source project, based on an
      > > existing open source word processor, something that already works on
      > > the Macintosh and is full-featured (AbiWord immediately comes to mind):
      > > http://www.abisource.com/~fjf/
      > > and modify its interface to be more like WordPerfect/Mac, and add the
      > > few features necessary to turn it into a legitimate candidate to
      > > replace WP/Mac?
      > >
      > > Folks who have lamented the demise of Eudora have taken this approach
      > > (with admittedly sometimes controversial results):
      > > http://eudora-penelope.en.softonic.com/mac
      > > https://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope
      > >
      > > Indeed, it may be possible to come up with a program that is
      > > everything that WP/Mac might have been if development had continued
      > > all of these years.
      > >
      > > What do folks think?

      > > Randy B. Singer

      Paul

    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
        Good idea for the name.

        BTW to quickly convert a word from initial caps to all lowercase or vice versa, put your cursor within the word and run one of these macros. They're most helpful with keystrokes assigned.

        From lowercase to initial caps:

        Select Word
        Titlecase Convert
        Right ()

        From initial caps to lowercase:

        Select Word
        Lowercase Convert
        Right ()

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Konnersman <konnersman@...> wrote:

        > I too think that it's a wonderful idea. I'd be happy to have an OSX native
        > word processor with my two favorite WP features — Show Codes and
        > Caps/InitialCaps/Lowercase. It might well be called Perfect Word.
        >
        > Paul
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
          On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:14 PM, jrethorst wrote:

          > I think it's a tremendous idea.

          Okay, the next step would be to interest some programmers.

          Anyone here in contact with the original programmers for WP/Mac?

          The lead programmer for AbiWord is:
          Francis James Franklin

          abiword-user-request@...
          or