WordPerfect/Mac Resurrected As Open Source?

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
      This just a brainstorming idea, so don't get too worked up over it...

      Has anyone considered starting an open source project, based on an
      existing open source word processor, something that already works on
      the Macintosh and is full-featured (AbiWord immediately comes to mind):
      http://www.abisource.com/~fjf/
      and modify its interface to be more like WordPerfect/Mac, and add the
      few features necessary to turn it into a legitimate candidate to
      replace WP/Mac?

      Folks who have lamented the demise of Eudora have taken this approach
      (with admittedly sometimes controversial results):
      http://eudora-penelope.en.softonic.com/mac
      https://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

      Indeed, it may be possible to come up with a program that is
      everything that WP/Mac might have been if development had continued
      all of these years.

      What do folks think?

      Randy B. Singer
    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
        I think it's a tremendous idea.

        I worry, though, about the "full-featured" part. Other word processors have the feature list of WP but none, as far as I can see, has the depth of implementation that WP has.

        Hyphenation is an example. WP hyphenates using its dictionary. Other programs, including MS Word (I don't know about the last couple of versions, though), hyphenate with algorithms. This can produce some fu-nny line breaks.

        For its OSX version, Nisus apparently borrowed some interface ideas from WP. There's a lot to borrow -- the folks in Orem UT seemed to have a gift for interface design.

        Open source can do wonderful things. The best astronomy program by far, Celestia, is open source. Why not a word processor?

        John R.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
          I agree it is a tremendous idea if, and only if, it is to get back the
          "Show hidden code" feature.

          Is that so difficult?

          Salute!

          On 14/09/2010, at 16:14, jrethorst wrote:

          > I think it's a tremendous idea.
          >
          > I worry, though, about the "full-featured" part. Other word
          > processors have the feature list of WP but none, as far as I can
          > see, has the depth of implementation that WP has.
          >
          > Hyphenation is an example. WP hyphenates using its dictionary. Other
          > programs, including MS Word (I don't know about the last couple of
          > versions, though), hyphenate with algorithms. This can produce some
          > fu-nny line breaks.
          >
          > For its OSX version, Nisus apparently borrowed some interface ideas
          > from WP. There's a lot to borrow -- the folks in Orem UT seemed to
          > have a gift for interface design.
          >
          > Open source can do wonderful things. The best astronomy program by
          > far, Celestia, is open source. Why not a word processor?
          >
          > John R.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > This just a brainstorming idea, so don't get too worked up over
          > it...
          > >
          > > Has anyone considered starting an open source project, based on an
          > > existing open source word processor, something that already works on
          > > the Macintosh and is full-featured (AbiWord immediately comes to
          > mind):
          > > http://www.abisource.com/~fjf/
          > > and modify its interface to be more like WordPerfect/Mac, and add
          > the
          > > few features necessary to turn it into a legitimate candidate to
          > > replace WP/Mac?
          > >
          > > Folks who have lamented the demise of Eudora have taken this
          > approach
          > > (with admittedly sometimes controversial results):
          > > http://eudora-penelope.en.softonic.com/mac
          > > https://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope
          > >
          > > Indeed, it may be possible to come up with a program that is
          > > everything that WP/Mac might have been if development had continued
          > > all of these years.
          > >
          > > What do folks think?

          > > Randy B. Singer
        • Joseph Bush
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
            John,

            Here's another one: Antonyms. Occasionally, I need a word with an
            opposite (not similar) meaning. Looks like they've added some antonym
            support in MS Word, but nothing like WP has. Not even close.

            Joe.

            On Sep 14, 2010, at 9:14 AM, jrethorst wrote:

            > I worry, though, about the "full-featured" part. Other word
            > processors have the feature list of WP but none, as far as I can
            > see, has the depth of implementation that WP has.
            >
            > Hyphenation is an example. WP hyphenates using its dictionary.
            > Other programs, including MS Word (I don't know about the last
            > couple of versions, though), hyphenate with algorithms. This can
            > produce some fu-nny line breaks.

          • Paul Konnersman
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
              I too think that it's a wonderful idea. I'd be happy to have an OSX native
              word processor with my two favorite WP features � Show Codes and
              Caps/InitialCaps/Lowercase. It might well be called Perfect Word.

              Paul

              On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:14 PM, jrethorst <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > I think it's a tremendous idea.
              >
              > I worry, though, about the "full-featured" part. Other word processors have
              > the feature list of WP but none, as far as I can see, has the depth of
              > implementation that WP has.
              >
              > Hyphenation is an example. WP hyphenates using its dictionary. Other
              > programs, including MS Word (I don't know about the last couple of versions,
              > though), hyphenate with algorithms. This can produce some fu-nny line
              > breaks.
              >
              > For its OSX version, Nisus apparently borrowed some interface ideas from
              > WP. There's a lot to borrow -- the folks in Orem UT seemed to have a gift
              > for interface design.
              >
              > Open source can do wonderful things. The best astronomy program by far,
              > Celestia, is open source. Why not a word processor?
              >
              > John R.
              >

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com <wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > This just a brainstorming idea, so don't get too worked up over it...
              > >
              > > Has anyone considered starting an open source project, based on an
              > > existing open source word processor, something that already works on
              > > the Macintosh and is full-featured (AbiWord immediately comes to mind):
              > > http://www.abisource.com/~fjf/
              > > and modify its interface to be more like WordPerfect/Mac, and add the
              > > few features necessary to turn it into a legitimate candidate to
              > > replace WP/Mac?
              > >
              > > Folks who have lamented the demise of Eudora have taken this approach
              > > (with admittedly sometimes controversial results):
              > > http://eudora-penelope.en.softonic.com/mac
              > > https://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope
              > >
              > > Indeed, it may be possible to come up with a program that is
              > > everything that WP/Mac might have been if development had continued
              > > all of these years.
              > >
              > > What do folks think?

              > > Randy B. Singer

              Paul

            • jrethorst
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
                Good idea for the name.

                BTW to quickly convert a word from initial caps to all lowercase or vice versa, put your cursor within the word and run one of these macros. They're most helpful with keystrokes assigned.

                From lowercase to initial caps:

                Select Word
                Titlecase Convert
                Right ()

                From initial caps to lowercase:

                Select Word
                Lowercase Convert
                Right ()

                John R.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Konnersman <konnersman@...> wrote:

                > I too think that it's a wonderful idea. I'd be happy to have an OSX native
                > word processor with my two favorite WP features — Show Codes and
                > Caps/InitialCaps/Lowercase. It might well be called Perfect Word.
                >
                > Paul
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
                  On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:14 PM, jrethorst wrote:

                  > I think it's a tremendous idea.

                  Okay, the next step would be to interest some programmers.

                  Anyone here in contact with the original programmers for WP/Mac?

                  The lead programmer for AbiWord is:
                  Francis James Franklin

                  abiword-user-request@...
                  or