Thanks! [was: Re: Sheepshaver basic question]

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 28, 2010
      You're right on all counts, as usual, John. It's an Intel machine; I did have the WP 3.5e app on my hard drive (which I have now deleted), and after I downloaded the Open WP Files app, all my WP files recognized it as the default program to open them.

      It works fine now. Thanks again.

      Now if I could only get Snow Leopard to "see" my LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer! It had been set up via AppleTalk on my PPC machine (I connect via the ethernet port, as it's pre-USB), but of course Apple did away with AppleTalk when Leopard came along. I've tried various proposed solutions, including a USB to parallel cable, without success. I was finally able to make it work by using a PPC Mac running 10.4 as a kind of print server, and sharing the printer. It was easy to do, and works well enough. because Snow Leopard sees the printer as shared by the PPC Mac; I just have to have that machine running if I want to print anything.

      But that's an issue for a different forum, not this one.

      Again, thanks for your help.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 28, 2010
        Here's someone who describes exactly how to print to a LaserWriter 16/600 from Snow Leopard:

        http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2073321&tstart=0&start=15

        And another version of the same basic instructions:

        http://theappleblog.com/2009/09/04/how-to-resurrect-your-appletalk-printer-in-snow-leopard/

        Once you've got that set up, you can even print directly from SheepShaver; see many posts in the forum at www.emaculation.com

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2010
          Thanks for the advice! I had searched Apple's site in vain for this information (I sometimes have a hard time finding things with their search function). But it was the Appleblog.com advice that really helped--some different information than what Apple's thread had.

          Bottom line: I don't want to belabor this, as I know I'm off topic for the WP group. I was able to change the IP address via the Laser Writer Printer utility (fortunately, my wife's PPC machine can run Classic). I tried various protocols, but it was finally the Line Printer Daemon that succeeded. So now I can print directly to the IP address. (I could actually print before via using the PPC machine as a print server, but that meant the other Mac had to be running and awake, which wasn't always convenient.)

          Thanks again. This list is an amazing resource.

          Rick Albright

          On Aug 28, 2010, at 11:58 PM, em315 wrote:

          > Here's someone who describes exactly how to print to a LaserWriter 16/600 from Snow Leopard:
          >
          > http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2073321&tstart=0&start=15
          >
          > And another version of the same basic instructions:
          >
          > http://theappleblog.com/2009/09/04/how-to-resurrect-your-appletalk-printer-in-snow-leopard/
          >
          > Once you've got that set up, you can even print directly from SheepShaver; see many posts in the forum at www.emaculation.com
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Now if I could only get Snow Leopard to "see" my LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer! It had been set up via AppleTalk on my PPC machine (I connect via the ethernet port,

        • jrethorst
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 3, 2010

            > I know I'm off topic for the WP group.

            Printing in SheepShaver is basic enough to our needs that I wouldn't want to call it off-topic.

            >So now I can print directly to the IP address.

            Which is probably faster than the setup that ships with our WordPerfect/SheepShaver installers.

            > This list is an amazing resource.

            Due in part to your contributions, Rick.