SheepShaver basic quetion

  • James Frederick
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2010
      I was having all kinds of problems getting SheepShaver to work, and continue
      to work, primarily because I wanted to use it with WriteNow and Timeslips
      and I could not seem to get it configured correctly. It is not a simple
      process, and as wonderful as the idea is, I have found it practically not
      usable.

      In struggling with this issue, however, I came across another solution that
      may also work for others. I started looking at VNC programs. There are MANY
      good ones available and most of them are not very expensive. I found this
      site to be a good starting point: http://www.pure-mac.com/remote.html

      For those not in the know...as I was not...VNC allows you to open a window
      on a networked machine that allows you to basically run the other computer
      from your desktop. It is "like" you are running the programs on your
      computer, but you are not. For all intents and purposes, however, this
      allows you to easily run all legacy software without having to get into
      complicated configuration issues.

      I settled on the "Vine" programs and they have worked VERY well for me. It
      is not quite the same as having it open up and work like before. But it is
      not at all bad. There is virtually no configuration. It is pretty much plug
      and play.

      I LOVE the idea of SheepShaver and Basilisk. If they came in a "plug and
      play" package, (most importantly, one that would easily allow you to drag
      and drop any and all classic programs you wanted onto the SheepShaver
      desktop), then I would gladly pay for such a program. A part of me is still
      thinking about visiting the genius bar to see if someone there could get
      things up and running for me. In the meantime, however, I have a solution
      which just works.

      James

      --
      James P. Frederick