Excalibur dictionary

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2010
      The free Excalibur spelling dictionary runs seamlessly with WP, using the Word Services feature. Just Add Excalibur to available services in WP by going to Edit > Preferences > Word Services.

      This spell-checker, available in both the Files and Links sections here, comes with American English. Other dictionaries you can download include:

      Atomic elements - by Laurence Passmore
      Biomed words - by Adrienne Forbes
      British dictionary 2.2 - by Adrienne Forbes
      Catalan dictionary with Catalan and Valencian variations - by Joan Dolç
      Danish dictionary
      French dictionary
      Dutch dictionary
      German dictionary with traditional and new ortography - by Detlef Nickel
      German dictionary with new ortography - by Peter Weber
      Haitian Creole dictionary - by Chris Luckhart
      HTML Dictionary 1.1 - by Russell A. Cardwell
      Indonesian dictionary 2.0 - by Masanori Kaneko
      Italian A-B words (plain text file) - by Adrienne Forbes
      Italian dictionary - by Paolo N.I.D. Matteucci
      Italian supplement - by Adrienne Forbes
      Mathematical words dictionary (in English and French) - by Pascal Romon
      LsdSpell (life science words) - by Shuji Kaneko
      Manx dictionary
      Medical dictionary - by Clare Shumway
      Nannoplankton dictionary - by Jamie Kahn Genet
      Nederlands dictionary - by Oscar van Vlijmen
      Norwegian dictionary 2.2 - by Svein Olav Nyberg and Hans Trygve Jensen
      Portuguese dictionary - by Nuno J. Mamede
      RSV Dictionary (words and names from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible) - by Chris MM Brady
      Spanish dictionary - by Juan Luis Varona
      Standard dictionary - this is the standard dictionary distributed with the current version of Excalibur. It is American English.
      Swedish dictionary

      With the WP dictionaries for 18 languages we already have, this makes for one comprehensive spell-checker.

      We just keep getting better.

      John R
    • Barney Christianson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2010
        On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM, jrethorst <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > The free Excalibur spelling dictionary runs seamlessly with WP, using the
        > Word Services feature. Just Add Excalibur to available services in WP by
        > going to Edit > Preferences > Word Services.

        I downloaded the current version of Excalibur, for Mac OS X 10.2 or higher.
        I added it to my application folder. When I tried to add it to my WP3.5e by
        going to Edit > Preferences > Word Services, the WP window just kept me
        Selecting down through Excalibur > Contents, and then finally Mac OS or
        Resources - both the last folders showed empty, with nothing more to select.
        I also tried directly from the down-loaded Excalibur folder (i.e without
        putting it in my Applications folder) same result.

        What am I missing?

        Running 10.4.11, WP3.5e

        BTW, I decided to this because my WP spell-checker has gone off. It will
        still high-light spelling errors as I type but when I run it at the end of
        the session, it will not find those errors. I trashed the dictionary out of
        WP's Language folder and re-install a good one from another computer where
        it works fine but soon it goes off again. I have trashed preferences etc. to
        no avail. Any ideas?

        Thanks and have a good weekend.

        Barney

        Recent Activity:

        > 22

        > Switch to: Text-Only<wordperfectmac-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
        > Daily Digest<wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>�
        > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
        > .

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2010
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson <barney.christianson@...> wrote:

          > I downloaded the current version of Excalibur, for Mac OS X 10.2 or higher.
          > I added it to my application folder. When I tried to add it to my WP3.5e by
          > going to Edit > Preferences > Word Services, the WP window just kept me
          > Selecting down through Excalibur > Contents, and then finally Mac OS or
          > Resources - both the last folders showed empty, with nothing more to select.
          > I also tried directly from the down-loaded Excalibur folder (i.e without
          > putting it in my Applications folder) same result.

          You'll need to use Excalibur v. 3.0.2, although version 4.0 might work.

          > BTW, I decided to this because my WP spell-checker has gone off. It will
          > still high-light spelling errors as I type but when I run it at the end of
          > the session, it will not find those errors. I trashed the dictionary out of
          > WP's Language folder and re-install a good one from another computer where
          > it works fine but soon it goes off again. I have trashed preferences etc. to
          > no avail. Any ideas?

          I would reinstall the program.