Re: [wpmac] Re: Sheepshaver basic question

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 23, 2010
      I'm using the SheepShaver version with the blue desktop and ship's wheel. The "About Sheepshaver" brings up: 2.3.20091025.

      I think I figured it out. When I launch WordPerfect, I have to look for files in Unix. Then I can see all my files and folders. I must have forgotten to do that.

      I thought that when I first installed the program, I was able to double-click on WordPerfect files in the (OSX) finder, but I can see that this doesn't work. Nor can I drag and drop files from OSX folders onto the Sheepshaver desktop.

      But as long as I have a way to open my files, I'm fine. Thanks for your help and your patience. I've been on this list for a long time (though a newcomer to Sheepshaver, as I always ran PowerPC machines in the past), and the list members are very helpful and very patient.

      Best,
      Rick Albright

      On Aug 22, 2010, at 11:03 PM, em315 wrote:

      > Which version of SheepShaver are you using? The one with the blue desktop and the ship's wheel startup screen, or the one with the gray desktop and the Mac OS startup screen?
      >
      > And when you say that you click on the file icon, do you mean the icon of a WordPerfect document file? And how are you trying to copy or move files to the SheepShaver desktop - exactly what procedure are you trying to use?b
      >
      > And it's not a stupid question at all!
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is a stupid question, but . . . when I first installed Sheepshaver (my system is 10.6.4), I could open WordPerfect files just fine. All of a sudden, I can't. If I double-click on the file icon, I get an OSX error message saying the Classic environment isn't supported. If I launch sheepshaver and WordPerfect, I can't "see" any files not in the Sheepshaver desktop. But I also can't copy or move any files to that desktop.
      > >
      > > I didn't have this problem before. What am I missing? I can't find any instructions that relate to this on the site. I've been trying to search the message database all evening for an answer and keep getting this message: "Search server is busy (code=300). Please try again later."
      > >
      > > Rick Albright

    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 24, 2010
        If your installation includes a "Open WP Files OSX" script, as it should, you ought to be able to double-click on a WP file in the Documents folder of your Home folder, or whatever folder you designated as the SS Unix folder, and that file will then open in WP in SheepShaver.

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 26, 2010

          > This is a stupid question,

          No it's not.

          > but . . . when I first installed Sheepshaver (my system is 10.6.4), I could open WordPerfect files just fine. All of a sudden, I can't. If I double-click on the file icon, I get an OSX error message saying the Classic environment isn't supported. If I launch sheepshaver and WordPerfect, I can't "see" any files not in the Sheepshaver desktop. But I also can't copy or move any files to that desktop.
          >
          > I didn't have this problem before. What am I missing? I can't find any instructions that relate to this on the site. I've been trying to search the message database all evening for an answer and keep getting this message: "Search server is busy (code=300). Please try again later."

          See other posts for specific issues.
        • jrethorst
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 27, 2010
            Most of my reply somehow got cut off and I just noticed it. I would want to be more helpful than just say "see other posts . . ." :-)

            Double-clicking a file in the OSX folder you've designated as the SheepShaver Unix/transfer folder (normally the Documents folder of the Home folder), and having it open in WP in SS, is accomplished by the "Open WP Files OSX" droplet, which comes with both the SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install and WPMacPPC Installer.

            Do a Get Info on a WP file in OSX that's in your transfer folder. If necessary, change the Open With application to Open WP Files. Apply that to all files (you may need to be logged on as an administrator to do this).

            If that doesn't fix it, download the Onyx utility from the Links section here and run the Reset Launch Services option.

            John R.

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 27, 2010
              Sorry, but I think I'm more confused.

              When I "Get info" on my WordPerfect files (in the Documents folder), the "Open with" information is: Corel Wordperfect 3.5e. Should I be changing this to something else? Sheepshaver? I can't seem to find it as an application (probably because it's on the desktop, not under Applications).

              I do have a "Set Files to WP" script icon on my Sheepshaver desktop (it was part of the installation), but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can see. I've tried double-clicking on it, and I've tried to drag and drop files onto it, but nothing happens.

              However, I CAN get to my files, as long as I: 1) run Sheepshaver; 2) Double-click on the WordPerfect icon (the inkwell, quill, and parchment icon); 3) Do a file-open, and look for the files under the Unix folder.

              I'm fine doing it this way, as long as I can get to my files. I must have imagined that I could double-click on them right in OSX.

              I appreciate your help and patience.

              Rick

              On Aug 27, 2010, at 2:16 PM, jrethorst wrote:

              > Most of my reply somehow got cut off and I just noticed it. I would want to be more helpful than just say "see other posts . . ." :-)
              >
              > Double-clicking a file in the OSX folder you've designated as the SheepShaver Unix/transfer folder (normally the Documents folder of the Home folder), and having it open in WP in SS, is accomplished by the "Open WP Files OSX" droplet, which comes with both the SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install and WPMacPPC Installer.
              >
              > Do a Get Info on a WP file in OSX that's in your transfer folder. If necessary, change the Open With application to Open WP Files. Apply that to all files (you may need to be logged on as an administrator to do this).
              >
              > If that doesn't fix it, download the Onyx utility from the Links section here and run the Reset Launch Services option.
              >
              > John R.
              >
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This is a stupid question,
              > >
              > > No it's not.
              > >
              > > > but . . . when I first installed Sheepshaver (my system is 10.6.4), I could open WordPerfect files just fine. All of a sudden, I can't. If I double-click on the file icon, I get an OSX error message saying the Classic environment isn't supported. If I launch sheepshaver and WordPerfect, I can't "see" any files not in the Sheepshaver desktop. But I also can't copy or move any files to that desktop.
              > > >
              > > > I didn't have this problem before. What am I missing? I can't find any instructions that relate to this on the site. I've been trying to search the message database all evening for an answer and keep getting this message: "Search server is busy (code=300). Please try again later."
              > >
              > > See other posts for specific issues.

              Rick Albright
              logres@...

              http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Past-Future-Narrative-Sensation/dp/0980149649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280368238&sr=1-1
            • jrethorst
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 27, 2010
                You're on 10.6.4, meaning Intel, so the only way you can run WP is with SS (or Basilisk). A copy of the WP 3.5e program file should not be floating around on your disk, i.e. in Applications. If that's the case, delete it and empty the Trash.

                Then download "Open WP Files 1.0.1.zip" from the Files section here, and put the unzipped file anywhere, maybe your desktop for the moment.

                You then could relaunch the Finder (press Option as you choose the Finder in the Dock), or you may have to run Onyx to reset the Launch Services database. Then do a Get Info on a WP file, and set Open WP Files as the application to open.

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 27, 2010
                  By "unzipped file" I mean the OSX droplet. The other file, "~Open WP Files", should go in the startup items folder of SheepShaver's system folder.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 28, 2010
                    You're right on all counts, as usual, John. It's an Intel machine; I did have the WP 3.5e app on my hard drive (which I have now deleted), and after I downloaded the Open WP Files app, all my WP files recognized it as the default program to open them.

                    It works fine now. Thanks again.

                    Now if I could only get Snow Leopard to "see" my LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer! It had been set up via AppleTalk on my PPC machine (I connect via the ethernet port, as it's pre-USB), but of course Apple did away with AppleTalk when Leopard came along. I've tried various proposed solutions, including a USB to parallel cable, without success. I was finally able to make it work by using a PPC Mac running 10.4 as a kind of print server, and sharing the printer. It was easy to do, and works well enough. because Snow Leopard sees the printer as shared by the PPC Mac; I just have to have that machine running if I want to print anything.

                    But that's an issue for a different forum, not this one.

                    Again, thanks for your help.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 28, 2010
                      Here's someone who describes exactly how to print to a LaserWriter 16/600 from Snow Leopard:

                      http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2073321&tstart=0&start=15

                      And another version of the same basic instructions:

                      http://theappleblog.com/2009/09/04/how-to-resurrect-your-appletalk-printer-in-snow-leopard/

                      Once you've got that set up, you can even print directly from SheepShaver; see many posts in the forum at www.emaculation.com

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2010
                        Thanks for the advice! I had searched Apple's site in vain for this information (I sometimes have a hard time finding things with their search function). But it was the Appleblog.com advice that really helped--some different information than what Apple's thread had.

                        Bottom line: I don't want to belabor this, as I know I'm off topic for the WP group. I was able to change the IP address via the Laser Writer Printer utility (fortunately, my wife's PPC machine can run Classic). I tried various protocols, but it was finally the Line Printer Daemon that succeeded. So now I can print directly to the IP address. (I could actually print before via using the PPC machine as a print server, but that meant the other Mac had to be running and awake, which wasn't always convenient.)

                        Thanks again. This list is an amazing resource.

                        Rick Albright

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 3, 2010

                          > I know I'm off topic for the WP group.

                          Printing in SheepShaver is basic enough to our needs that I wouldn't want to call it off-topic.

                          >So now I can print directly to the IP address.

                          Which is probably faster than the setup that ships with our WordPerfect/SheepShaver installers.

                          > This list is an amazing resource.

                          Due in part to your contributions, Rick.