Re: Slightly off topic - Need to add programs to SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14 12:35 PM
      There are two separate versions of SheepShaver with WP available, so it's not quite clear which you mean by the "all in one" version.

      Does its desktop have a gray background or a blue one? And while it's starting up, does it display a screen with a ship's steering-wheel and the word "SheepShaver" (this is the version with the blue desktop background), or does it display a traditional "Mac OS" screen (this is the version with the gray background)?

      The answer to your question is different depending on which one it is.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14 6:54 PM
        John,

        Under Snow Leopard this procedure no longer works. Snow Leopard does not support writing to HFS disks, like the SheepShaver disk image.

        The only way to add files to the SheepShaver disk under Snow Leopard is to move the file into the OS X folder that corresponds to the "Unix" directory; then, inside SheepShaver, open the Unix folder and drag the file to the SheepShaver icon so that the file is moved to the SheepShaver disk - NOT to the SheepShaver desktop, but to the SheepShaver disk.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jrethorst <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > WordPerfect can read WriteNow files, if (IIRC) not the last version of WN.
        >
        > To add programs to the SS / Unix disk:
        >
        > 1. Quit SheepShaver (do not omit this step. Otherwise you will corrupt the SS volume.
        >
        > 2. Double-click the SS volume in OSX.
        >
        > 3. Drag files onto the SS volume.
        >
        > 4. Unmount the SS volume, and start SS.
        >
        > John R.
        >

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "attyjpf" <attyjpf@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello~
        > > I just got a new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and installed the "all in one" Sheepshaver with WP. It seems to work fine except for one thing. I have a TON of old WriteNow files on my computer and I cannot move WriteNow to the SheepShaver disk. I have tried to add it to both the Unix disk and the "general" one. I have also tried to drag and drop on the SheepShaver icon, which of course, does not work.
        > >
        > > Besides WriteNow, the other legacy program that I desperately want to continue using is Timeslips. I cannot add that to the SheepShaver disk, either.
        > >
        > > I assumed there is something simple that I am missing. Drag and drop appears not to be the way to accomplish what I need. Thanks for any suggestions!
        > >
        > > James
        > > attyjpf@

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15 8:35 AM
          Thanks again for the update, Ed. I'm still on Tiger . . .

          This explains part of the advantage to your setup, putting the SS disk in a vm container in the contents of the package. I should do that as well (actually, what I should do is steal your entire setup, replacing the SS disk . . . but I'd need to upgrade to Leopard to run it, or else rewrite the script for Tiger).

          So, for the OP -- with SS running, what happens when you drag WriteNow to the OSX folder you've designated as the SS transfer, probably the Documents folder of your Home folder? (In SS, you may have to close and then reopen the Unix disk to see what you've transferred.)

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15 9:20 AM
            Since I basically stole your original setup, you're certainly free to steal it back. You'll need to replace the ROM in addition to the disk image, I think.

            I seem to remember that it's possible to rework the script for Tiger, but only by sacrificing some of the automation that I didn't want to give up Unfortunately, it's been so long that I forget exactly which parts!

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15 7:26 PM
              Since you have the SheepShaver-WP setup (based on the information you sent in a private message), the answer to your question is the procedure in Message #6419 in this forum.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "attyjpf" <attyjpf@...> wrote:

              > Hello~
              > I just got a new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and installed the "all in one" Sheepshaver with WP. It seems to work fine except for one thing. I have a TON of old WriteNow files on my computer and I cannot move WriteNow to the SheepShaver disk. I have tried to add it to both the Unix disk and the "general" one. I have also tried to drag and drop on the SheepShaver icon, which of course, does not work.
              >
              > Besides WriteNow, the other legacy program that I desperately want to continue using is Timeslips. I cannot add that to the SheepShaver disk, either.
              >
              > I assumed there is something simple that I am missing. Drag and drop appears not to be the way to accomplish what I need. Thanks for any suggestions!
              >
              > James
              > attyjpf@...

            • John Kaufmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15 8:14 PM
                In a message dated 2010.08.15 22:26 -0500, em315 wrote:

                > ... the answer to your question is the procedure in Message #6419 in this forum.

                Quick question: Is the message # retrievable from mail headers [I could
                not find it], or must one go to the web interface?

                [Yes, I know one must go to the web interface to retrieve a past message
                anyway. The question is whether any post received from the mailing list
                can be identified by number for later reference.]

                Thanks,
                John K.