Re: New version of WPMacPPC system (SheepShaver-WPMac) available

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2010
      Just copy the new one over the old one. The whole idea was to make it self-contained.

      This stuff is really play, not work. I've never used WPMac - I use WPDOS on a Windows machine - but the challenge of getting this to work was intriguing. By the way, If you look at the AppleScript code of the application, you'll see a few options to play with: quasi-full-screen mode (the system fills the screen and hides the dock but the OS X menubar appears if you move the mouse to the top of the screen), etc.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:
      > One quick question. If we have an older version of the WPMAcPPC Appliance,
      > do we need to delete it first, or is there an uninstall process? Or can I
      > just copy the new one over the older one and everything will be ok?

      > On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I've uploaded a slightly revised version of my WPMacPPC Appliance, a
      > > SheepShaver-based system that emulates an ancient PowerPC Mac with
      > > WordPerfect 3.5e installed in it. This system was inspired by John
      > > Rethorst's much more ambitious and polished SheepShaver-WPMac setup which is
      > > available through links on this site.
      > >
      > > The direct link for my more-limited alternative system is here:
      > >
      > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg
      > >
      > > and a fairly complete description of it is here:
      > >
      > > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html
      > >
      > > This system requires OS X 10.5 or later, and runs on PowerPC or Intel Macs.
      > >

      > > For this latest version, I've improved the printing setup so that now
      > > envelopes can be printed through the File/Print Envelope menu; make sure to
      > > select the correct envelope size in the Page Layout dialog in the Envelope
      > > dialog; you may need to experiment with some of the options on that page to
      > > make the envelope feature compatible with your actual printer.
      > >
      > > This system needs no installation; you simply download the DMG disk image
      > > file and double-click on the ZIP file on the disk image to extract the
      > > system to your Downloads folder. The first time you run it, you will be
      > > prompted to install a system that makes it possible to print from the system
      > > to your OS X printer. A read-me first PDF file explains how to perform an
      > > optional printer setup step inside the emulated system, but you may ignore
      > > this if you don't intend to print.

    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2010
        Ed, that is one magnificent Applescript!

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
          Thank you, John. The best ideas were yours and Smokey's, of course. And the rest of it is filled with bloated code because I don't know enough Applescript to make it better. But I'm always willing to learn....