Re: [wpmac] New version of WPMacPPC system (SheepShaver-WPMac) available

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2010
      Thanks for this. It's always good to get updates! I really appreciate all
      the work that goes into these free projects. Thank you.

      One quick question. If we have an older version of the WPMAcPPC Appliance,
      do we need to delete it first, or is there an uninstall process? Or can I
      just copy the new one over the older one and everything will be ok?

      - Chad W Smith
      "I like a man who's middle name is W." - President George W. Bush - February
      10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2010
        Just copy the new one over the old one. The whole idea was to make it self-contained.

        This stuff is really play, not work. I've never used WPMac - I use WPDOS on a Windows machine - but the challenge of getting this to work was intriguing. By the way, If you look at the AppleScript code of the application, you'll see a few options to play with: quasi-full-screen mode (the system fills the screen and hides the dock but the OS X menubar appears if you move the mouse to the top of the screen), etc.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:
        > One quick question. If we have an older version of the WPMAcPPC Appliance,
        > do we need to delete it first, or is there an uninstall process? Or can I
        > just copy the new one over the older one and everything will be ok?

        > On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I've uploaded a slightly revised version of my WPMacPPC Appliance, a
        > > SheepShaver-based system that emulates an ancient PowerPC Mac with
        > > WordPerfect 3.5e installed in it. This system was inspired by John
        > > Rethorst's much more ambitious and polished SheepShaver-WPMac setup which is
        > > available through links on this site.
        > >
        > > The direct link for my more-limited alternative system is here:
        > >
        > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg
        > >
        > > and a fairly complete description of it is here:
        > >
        > > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html
        > >
        > > This system requires OS X 10.5 or later, and runs on PowerPC or Intel Macs.
        > >

        > > For this latest version, I've improved the printing setup so that now
        > > envelopes can be printed through the File/Print Envelope menu; make sure to
        > > select the correct envelope size in the Page Layout dialog in the Envelope
        > > dialog; you may need to experiment with some of the options on that page to
        > > make the envelope feature compatible with your actual printer.
        > >
        > > This system needs no installation; you simply download the DMG disk image
        > > file and double-click on the ZIP file on the disk image to extract the
        > > system to your Downloads folder. The first time you run it, you will be
        > > prompted to install a system that makes it possible to print from the system
        > > to your OS X printer. A read-me first PDF file explains how to perform an
        > > optional printer setup step inside the emulated system, but you may ignore
        > > this if you don't intend to print.

      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2010
          Ed, that is one magnificent Applescript!

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
            Thank you, John. The best ideas were yours and Smokey's, of course. And the rest of it is filled with bloated code because I don't know enough Applescript to make it better. But I'm always willing to learn....