Re: [wpmac] [OT] Stories from Tech Support

  • Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2010
      The last item reminds me of an experience I had when I worked for a
      school system.

      Back in the early days we had a Combination of Apple I, II, IIe, IIc,
      Ti-88 Commodore 64/28, Epson Equity I,II, III, IV, IBM PS 1, and 2 and
      some house Brands called Winn (286 and 386 boxes), then a few Macintosh
      computers.

      Most of the Elementary and Primary schools just used the Apple I,II
      machines and the TI-88.

      Anyway I was at a School in Library and a child came in and asked for a
      program to go in computer. The Librarian gave the child a Floppy Disk
      for an Apple II Computer. A few minutes later the child came back and was
      desperately asking Librarian to come get the computer working. She asked me
      to go along as it could be a problem with the computer.

      When we got to the room we almost had to duct tape our mouths closed. Turns
      out she had a TI-88 which used a cartridge slot and she folded the
      floppy in quarters and stuffed it in the slot expecting it to work. The librarian told the child to come back to room and she would give them a program that would
      work.

      We had to go outside and laugh our backsides off for about 5 minutes.

      jrethorst wrote:

      > . . . found on the web
      >
      > Actual Call Center Calls
    • geoffrey mendelson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2010
        On Aug 8, 2010, at 10:28 PM, jrethorst wrote:

        > . .
        > This has to be one of the funniest things in a long time. I think
        > this guy should have been promoted, not fired.
        >
        > This is a true story from the WordPerfect Helpline, which was
        > transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department..
        >
        > Needless to say the Help Desk employee was fired; however, he/she is
        > currently suing the WordPerfect organization for 'Termination
        > without Cause.'
        >
        > Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee.
        > (Now I know why they record these conversations!):

        It's amazing how this has grown. It has been floating around the email
        listst, and then later the web since long before Satellite Software
        was selling Word Perfect.

        Geoff.

        --
        Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
        To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2010
          There was a version of it floating around MIT in the 1970s - when it was about someone working at a terminal. A friend who worked at some IBM research center in the 1980s heard a version of it about the old DisplayWrite system.